Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Quarry Bank Mill
Founded by Samuel Greg in 1784 in the village of Styal on the River Bollin, it features a water wheel designed by Peter Ewart. The surrounding estate, also developed by Greg, is the most complete and least altered factory colony of the industrial revolution. The estate and mill are currently owned and maintained by the National Trust and are open to the public.
Quarry Bank Mill is notable for its use of unpaid child apprentices, a system that continued in the mill until 1847, with the last child to be indentured starting work in 1841. Samuel Greg employed Peter Holland, a relation of Elizabeth Gaskell as mill doctor, responsible for the health of the children and other workers, and was the first doctor to be employed in such a capacity.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details