Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Richard Marcinko the Rogue Warrior (born November 21 1940) in Lansford, Pennsylvania lives in the Alexandria, Virginia area and is one of the United States' most accomplished and recognized special operations experts, with over 30 years of experience in a variety of specialties including counter-terrorism, intelligence and special operations. He has a B.A. in International Relations from the U.S. Navy Postgraduate School in Monterey, California, and a M.A. in Political Science from Auburn University.
After enlisting in the US Navy, Marcinko spent his early years in the Underwater Demolition Teams. Marcinko worked his way up to the rank of captain during two tours in Vietnam serving as a Navy SEAL. He also served as a Naval Attache to Cambodia. He was the first commanding officer and founder of two of the military's premier counter-terrorist units: SEAL Team SIX and Red Cell. SEAL Team SIX engaged in highly classified missions from Central America to the Middle East, the North Sea to Africa and beyond.
Commanding Red Cell, Marcinko was directed to use his team to test the Navy's anti-terrorist capabilities. The result: he was able to infiltrate seemingly impenetrable, highly secured bases, nuclear submarines, ships and other purported "secure areas", including the U.S. Presidential plane Air Force One. In doing so he embarrased several superior officers, whom he accuses for his conviction of misappropriation of funds and resources under his command. His experiences led to The New York Times best-selling autobiography Rogue Warrior , and subsequent sequels, co-written with John Weisman .
He now is CEO and runs a security consulting firm in Washington, DC – SOS Temps, Inc. – a private security consulting firm whose clients have included the Detroit Metropolitan Airport, the White House Fellows and the U.S. Army War College. His motivational and team-building company – Richard Marcinko, Inc. – counts among its clients General Motors, AT&T, Domino's Pizza, Motorola, BellSouth and several other Fortune 500 companies. Through Eastern Michigan University Marcinko also provides graduate level presentations on topics such as terrorism, security and the adaptation of modern technology. He has a politically conservative talk radio show America on Watch with Dick Marcinko which is broadcast live on Saturdays (5:00PM - 8:00PM EST). He has also recently become spokesperson for the Zodiac boat company's Zodiac Maritime Training Academy .
- Legion of Merit
- Silver Star
- Bronze Star with Combat V (4 times)
- Navy Commendation Medal (2 times)
- Vietnamese Cross of Gallantry with Silver Star
- Red Cell (1994) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671019775
- Green Team (1995) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671799592
- Task Force Blue (1996) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671896725
- Designation Gold (1997) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671896741
- Seal Force Alpha (1998) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671000721
- Option Delta (1999) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671000683
- The Real Team (1999) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671024655
- Echo Platoon (2000) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671000748
- Detachment Bravo (2001) (with John Weisman) ISBN 0671000713
- Violence of Action (2003) ISBN 0743422767
- Vengeance (2005) ISBN 0743422473
- (with Dennis Chalker & Kevin Dockery ) ISBN 0380978040
- Red Cell (VHS & Special Edition DVD)
- Advanced Hostage Rescue (VHS & DVD)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details