Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Robert Wise (born September 10, 1914) is an Academy Award winning film producer and director. Born in Winchester, Indiana, Wise began his movie career at RKO as a sound and music editor, but he soon grew to being nominated for the Academy Award for Film Editing for Citizen Kane in 1941. He took his first directing job with the stylish horror film The Curse of the Cat People in 1944. In 1949 he directed the boxing movie The Set-Up, where his direction of the real-time setting got him noticed.
In the 1950s, Wise proved adept in several genres, from the science fiction of The Day the Earth Stood Still to the melodramatic So Big , to Susan Hayward's Oscar winner in I Want to Live!, for which he was nominated for Best Director.
In 1961, teamed with Jerome Robbins, he won the Academy Award for Best Director for West Side Story, which he also produced. He repeated this achievement in 1965 with The Sound of Music. In the 1970s he directed such films as The Andromeda Strain, The Hindenburg and the first Star Trek film, Star Trek: The Motion Picture. In 1989 he directed Rooftops , his last feature film to date.
Academy Awards and Nominations
- 1967 Won Irving G. Thalberg Memorial Award
- 1967 Nominated for Best Picture The Sand Pebbles
- 1966 Won Best Director The Sound of Music
- 1966 Won Best Picture The Sound of Music
- 1962 Won Best Director West Side Story with Jerome Robbins
- 1962 Won Best Picture West Side Story
- 1959 Nominated for Best Director I Want to Live!
- 1942 Nominated for Best Film Editing Citizen Kane
Notable Films Directed
- 1944 The Curse of the Cat People
- 1951 The Day the Earth Stood Still
- 1953 So Big
- 1953 The Desert Rats
- 1958 I Want to Live!
- 1963 The Haunting
- 1961 West Side Story
- 1965 The Sound of Music
- 1968 Star!
- 1971 The Andromeda Strain
- 1975 The Hindenburg
- 1979 Star Trek: The Motion Picture
- 1989 Rooftops
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details