Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Rosslyn Chapel, originally named the Collegiate Chapel of St. Matthew, is a 15th Century church in the village of Roslin, Midlothian, Scotland. It is the location of the Apprentice Pillar. The chapel was designed by William Sinclair of the St. Clair family in France who were involved in the Knights Templar. Construction of the chapel began in 1440, and the chapel was officially founded in 1446. Construction lasted for forty years.
The chapel is actually the choir of what was intended to be a much larger cruciform structure. Construction of the larger structure was halted in 1484 after the death of Sinclair, who is buried in the chapel's foundation.
The chapel has been ascribed by some sources as a possible location of the Holy Grail.
Adorned with mysterious figures, the chapel has long been the subject speculation regarding its possible connection to Freemasonry.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details