Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- This article is about the county in England. For other articles on subjects named Rutland, see Rutland (disambiguation).
|Status:||Ceremonial County; Unitary District|
- Total (2002 est.)
91 / km²
|Rutland County Council|
Its greatest length north to south is only 18 miles; greatest breadth east to west, 17 miles. It is the smallest (in terms of population) normal unitary authority in mainland England (only the City of London is smaller), and is 345th of the 350 districts in terms of population.
The two principal towns are Oakham, the county town, and Uppingham. At the centre of the county is a large reservoir, Rutland Water, which is an important nature reserve, serving as an overwintering site for wildfowl and a breeding site for Ospreys. The town of Stamford is just over the border in a protruding part of Lincolnshire.
Main article: History of Rutland.
The north-western part of the county was recorded as Rutland, a detached part of Nottinghamshire, in the Domesday Book; the south-eastern part as the wapentake of Wicelsea in Northamptonshire. It was first mentioned as a separate county in 1159, but as late as the 14th century it was referred to as the 'Soke of Rutland'.
Towns and villages
- Ashwell , Ayston
- Barleythorpe , Barrow , Barrowden , Belmesthorpe , Belton in Rutland , Bisbrooke , Braunston-in-Rutland , Brooke , Burley
- Caldecott , Clipsham ,Cottesmore
- Edith Weston , Egleton , Empingham , Essendine , Exton
- Glaston , Great Casterton, Greetham , Gunthorpe
- Langham, Little Casterton, Lyddington , Lyndon
- Manton , Market Overton , Morcott
- Normanton , North Luffenham
- Pickworth, Pilton , Preston
- Ridlington , Ryhall
- Seaton , South Luffenham , Stoke Dry , Stretton
- Teigh , Thistleton , Thorpe by Water , Tickencote , Tinwell , Tixover
- Upper Hambleton , Uppingham
- Wardley , Whissendine , Whitwell, Wing
Places of interest
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details