Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Singapore Mass Rapid Transit (SMRT) Corporation is a public transport operator founded on August 6, 1987. Their major competitor in Singapore's duopoly transport system is SBS Transit, which also operates bus, rail, taxi and other transport services.
On November 7, 1987, SMRT started services on Singapore's first MRT section, consisting of five stations from Yio Chu Kang MRT Station to Toa Payoh MRT Station . On December 11, 2001, SMRT merged with TIBS Holdings. On May 10, 2004, all of the subsidiaries under the SMRT Corporation adopted the SMRT logo and brand officially.
- SMRT Trains Ltd (SMRT Trains) (formerly Singapore MRT Ltd)
- SMRT Light Rail Pte Ltd (SMRT Light Rail) (formerly Singapore LRT Pte Ltd)
- SMRT Buses Ltd (SMRT Buses) (formerly Trans-Island Bus Services Ltd)
- SMRT Taxis Pte Ltd (SMRT Taxis) (formerly TIBS Taxis Pte Ltd)
- SMRT Automotive Services Pte Ltd (SMRT Automotive) (formerly TIBS Motors Pte Ltd)
- Singapore Shuttle Bus (Pte) Ltd (SSB)
- Bus-Plus Services Pte Ltd (Bus-Plus)
- SMRT Engineering Pte Ltd (SMRT Engineering)
- SMRT Investments Pte Ltd (SMRT Investments)
- RFP Investments Pte Ltd (RFPI)
- SMRT International Pte Ltd (SMRTI)
SMRT's primary business is providing public transport services in Singapore. Its more notable operations are the following.
- SMRT Trains operates the 51 stations along the urban heavy rail North-South and East-West lines of the MRT network.
- SMRT Light Rail operates and manages the 14 stations along the light rail Bukit Panjang LRT Line.
- SMRT Buses operates a fleet of more than 800 buses, serving selected housing estates in northern Singapore.
- SMRT Taxis manages about 2,000 taxis.
Key Operating Statistics
Annual Statistics (for the year ended 31st March)
|Route length at period end (kilometres)||83.00||83.00||84.94||84.94||84.94||84.94|
|Total number of passengers (millions)||346.35||367.19||387.39||389.66||394.25||391.46|
|Car kilometres operated (millions)||73.50||74.10||75.30||81.38||89.62||77.39|
|Average number of weekday passengers (thousands)||987.00||1042.00||1108.00||1125.00||1139.30||1131.40|
|Aggregate passenger distance travelled per year (million kilometres)||4,408.70||4,687.00||4,935.00||4,963.00||4,988.90||4,861.30|
|Average operating car occupancy (persons)||60.00||63.00||65.50||60.98||55.70||63.20|
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details