Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The town is named after Clodoald , great-son of Clovis, who is supposed to have sought refuge in the hamlet of Novigentum. Canonized after his death, the village where is located his tomb takes the name of Sanctus Clodoaldus.
In 1799, the town is home of the coup d'état led by Napoléon that overthrew the French Directory. A park contains the remains of the Palace of Saint-Cloud, which was build in 1572 and was destroyed by fire in 1870 during the Franco-Prussian War. The Palace was residence for several French rulers.
As of 1999, there are 28,157 people residing in the town. The population density is 3724/km².
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details