Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
San Francisco State University
San Francisco State University is a branch of the California State University system. It is located in the southwestern part of San Francisco, California near Lake Merced, Fort Funston , and only a mile north of Daly City.
The university's colleges are Behavioral and Social Sciences, Business, Creative Arts, Education, Ethnic Studies, Extended Learning, Health and Human Services, Humanities, Interdisciplinary Studies and Science and Engineering.
The university awards bachelor's degrees in 116 areas of specialization and master's degrees in 95. It jointly offers two doctoral programs. It's partnered with UC Berkley to offer a doctorate in education for aspiring principals and school administrators. It has also partnered with the UC San Francisco to offer a doctorate in physical therapy.
- Annette Bening - actress
- Dean Biersch - founder of the Gordon Biersch Brewing Company
- Po Bronson (MFA in creative writing) - author and journalist
- Willie Brown - member of the California State Legislature and former mayor of San Francisco, California
- John Burton - President Pro Tempore of the California State Senate
- David Carradine - actor, best known for the television series Kung Fu
- Dana Carvey - comedian, best known for his characterizations in Saturday Night Live and the Wayne's World franchise.
- Peter Coyote - actor
- Gregory Fischbach - founder of Acclaim Entertainment, a videogame company
- Heather Fong (MA) - Current and first female chief of the San Francisco Police Department.
- Ben Fong-Torres - co-founder of Rolling Stone magazine, portrayed in the film Almost Famous
- Ernest J. Gaines -novelist
- Andreas Glocker - founder of Sirius Connections
- Danny Glover - Lethal Weapon actor
- Charles Hall - inventor of the waterbed
- Delroy Lindo -actor
- Johnny Mathis - musician
- Manny Mashour - founder of bebe Inc. clothing retail shops
- Stan Mazor - while at Intel under the direction of Marcian Hoff, helped to design the first microprocessor with Federico Faggin.
- Frances Mayes -author of Under the Tuscan Sun.
- Anne Rice -novelist.
- Mario Savio - Berkeley "free speech" activist.
- Ronnie Schell - actor
- B.D. Wong - actor
- 1899 - Founded as San Francisco State Normal School
- 1901 - First graduating class
- 1921 - SF Normal School became the SF State Teachers College
- 1923 - First bachelor of arts degree awarded
- 1935 - Renamed San Francisco State College
- 1966 - Beginning of the era of campus riots led by university-subsidized organizations, including the Students for a Democratic Society, the Black Students Union , and the Third World Liberation Front and marked by counter-protests and widespread charges of corruption and election fraud in the student newspaper, the Daily Gator, then edited by Rolling Stone co-founder Ben Fong-Torres .
- 1972 - Received University status as California State University, San Francisco
- 1974 - Renamed San Francisco State University
- 1999 - Celebrated 100th birthday
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details