Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
San Quentin State Prison
San Quentin State Prison is located on 432 acres (1.7 km²) on Point Quentin in Marin County, California, north of San Francisco. San Quentin State Prison was opened in July 1852, and is the oldest prison in California. It was built by inmates who were housed on the prison ship Waban during the construction. San Quentin held both male and female inmates until 1933 when the women's prison at Tehachapi was built.
The state's male death row is located at San Quentin, as well as its only gas chamber. It has a reputation of being one of the state's most violent prisons. Designed to house 3,317 inmates, it currently has nearly twice that number.
Noted current inmates
- Stanley Williams - Founder of the Crips street gang.
- Sirhan Sirhan - Assassin of Robert F. Kennedy.
- Ramon Salcido - Sonoma County spree killer.
- Richard Ramirez - Serial killer. Alias the "Night Stalker".
- David Carpenter - The "Trailside Killer".
- Richard Davis - Kidnaped and murdered Polly Klaas.
- Scott Peterson - Convicted murderer of his wife, Laci and unborn son, Conner.
- Wallace Fard Muhammad - Founder of the Nation of Islam.
- Merle Haggard - The noted country singer, served 15 years time starting at age 19 for grand theft auto and armed robbery.
- Caryl Chessman - Convicted sex offender, was given the death penalty in 1948 and executed in 1960.
- Charles Manson - Leader of the Manson family. Transferred to Corcoran State Prison in 1989. 
- George Jackson of the Black Panther Party.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details