Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
'SanaŠ (Arabic صنعاء, romanized as ', and also known as Sana or Sana'a), population 1,303,000 (2000), is the capital of Yemen. It is the center of a grape growing region. SanaŠ has been settled from pre-Islamic times; it was under Ethiopian rule in the 6th century. The city was occupied several times by Turkey. After 1918, when Yemen's independence was reestablished, SanaŠ became its capital. The capital was moved to Taiz in 1948, but returned to SanaŠ in 1962.
"La budda min Ṣanʻāʼ" (SanaŠ must be seen) are famous words first attributed to Imam Muḥammad ibn Idris al-Shafiʼi (768-820) who visited the ancient capital several times.
The city of SanaŠ is an Islamic cultural center, and there is a Muslim university and many mosques.
Many travelers in ancient days were impressed by the beauty of SanaŠ. The well-known Yemeni geographer and historian Al Hamdani marveled at the cleanliness of the city:
The least dwelling there has a well or two, a garden and long cesspits separate from each other, empty of ordure, without smell or evil odors, because of the hard concrete (adobe and Cob probably) and fine pasture-land and clean places to walk.
It is the city of Yemen—there not being found ... a city greater, more populous or more prosperous, of nobler origin or more delicious food than it ...
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details