Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Satsuma is located at 30°51'16" North, 88°3'16" West (30.854518, -88.054415).
- 1878 Mandarin Satsuma oranges introduced to Alabama
- 1900 Satsuma area known as Fig Tree Island
- 1910 Pace Orange Orchard had about 100 acres of pecans and satsuma trees on the area
- 1915 Town named "Satsuma"
- 1918 Mr. Norman E. McConaghy hired as manager of the Satsuma Orange & Pecan Groves Company.
- 1922 Packing house built that still stands above Mac's Landing
- 1912-1924 Satsuma trees damaged by cold weather & citrus canker
- 1959 Plans for a Town Charter submitted to the County of Mobile and the State of Alabama were approved. April 6, 1959 was the first municipal election.
(More at http://cityofsatsuma.com.)
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 5,687 people, 2,017 households, and 1,688 families residing in the city. The population density is 337.3/km² (873.1/mi²). There are 2,107 housing units at an average density of 125.0/km² (323.5/mi²). The racial makeup of the city is 93.72% White, 5.05% Black or African American, 0.55% Native American, 0.25% Asian, 0.00% Pacific Islander, 0.16% from other races, and 0.28% from two or more races. 0.58% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 2,017 households out of which 37.5% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.3% are married couples living together, 8.9% have a female householder with no husband present, and 16.3% are non-families. 14.8% of all households are made up of individuals and 6.8% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.81 and the average family size is 3.10.
In the city the population is spread out with 26.0% under the age of 18, 8.3% from 18 to 24, 28.0% from 25 to 44, 26.5% from 45 to 64, and 11.2% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 38 years. For every 100 females there are 96.2 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 91.3 males.
The median income for a household in the city is $50,496, and the median income for a family is $53,180. Males have a median income of $39,123 versus $24,851 for females. The per capita income for the city is $23,972. 6.0% of the population and 4.7% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 8.0% of those under the age of 18 and 10.9% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details