Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
- Not to be confused with the neighboring province of Shanxi
|Abbreviations: 陕 or 秦 (pinyin: Shǎn or Qín)|
|Origin of Name|| 陕 shǎn - Shan County |
西 xī - west
"west of Shan County , Henan"
| Capital and|
|CPC Shaanxi Committee Secretary||Li Jianguo|
|Area||205,800 km² (11th)|
| Population (2002) |
| 36,740,000 (17th) |
| GDP (2002)|
- per capita
| 203.6 billion ¥ (21st) |
5542 ¥ (27th)
|Major Nationalities (2000)|| Han - 99.5%|
Hui - 0.4%
Shaanxi (; Postal System Pinyin: Shensi, pronounced like "Shahn-shee") is a northwestern province of the People's Republic of China, and includes portions of the Loess Plateau on the middle reaches of the Yellow River as well as the Qinling Mountains across the southern part of the province.
By regular Hanyu Pinyin rules, both Shaanxi and the neighbouring province of Shanxi should be spelled as "Shanxi", and the difference is in tone: Shānxī and Shǎnxī. To make the difference clear even without tonal marks, the spelling "Shaanxi" was contrived for the province of Shǎnxī, while "Shanxi" is used for the province of Shānxī.
Desert in the north along the border with Inner Mongolia, the Loess Plateau in the central part of the province, the Qinling mountains running east to west in the south central part, and subtropical climate south of the Qinling mountains.
- Qinqiang, the representative folk opera of Shaanxi
- The city of Xi'an: City Walls, Great Mosque, Bell Tower and Drum Tower, Forest of Stone Steles Museum, Shaanxi History Museum, Wild Goose Pagoda
- Mausoleum and Terracotta Army Museum of the First Qin Emperor in Xi'an (World Heritage Site)
- Banpo Neolithic village, near Xi'an
- Imperial mausoleums
- Daqin Pagoda
- Yan'an, the destination of the Long March and the center of Chinese Communist revolution from 1935 to 1948
- Mt. Huashan , one of the five most famous mountains in China. Mt. Taibaishan, the peak of Range Qinling.
Professional sports teams based in Shaanxi include:
- Chinese Football Association Jia League
- Xi'an Anxinyuan
- Chinese Basketball Association
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details