Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Slutsk (Belarusian: Слу́цак, Слуцк; Polish Słuck; Russian: Слуцк) is a town in Belarus, located on the Sluc river , 105 km south of Minsk. In 1995 it had a population of 62,800. Slutsk was first mentioned in writing in 1116. In 1160 it became the capital of its own principality. From 1320-1330 it was part of the domain of the Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
Following the 17th century the town became famous for its manufactories of kontusz belts, some of the most expensive and luxurious piece of garment of the szlachta. Because of the popularity of the belts made in Słuck, all the belts worn over the żupan were often called the Belts of Słuck, despite of their real place of origin.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details