Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Speed Art Museum
The museum opened its doors in 1927 and was named after James Breckenridge Speed, whose wife Hattie Speed set up the endowment that funded the museum. She specified that the museum must never charge admission. There were over 200,000 visitors in its first two weeks of operation. In 1997, the museum underwent a $12 million renovation and expansion.
Admission is still free, although a $4 donation is recommended. The museum receives around 180,000 visitors per year.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details