Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Saint John's University, New York
Saint John's University is a private coeducational Roman Catholic university in New York City, with its primary campus being located in Jamaica, a neighborhood in the borough of Queens. It is known for its programs in the liberal arts, business, and law.
St. John's University was founded in 1870, by the Vincentian Fathers of the Roman Catholic Church. It has an enrollment of over 19,000 students in its six schools and colleges. Bachelor's, master's, and doctoral programs are conferred by the university and over 100 degree programs are offered through the St. John's College of Liberal Arts & Sciences, the Peter J. Tobin College of Business, the College of Pharmacy and Allied Health Professions, the College of Professional Studies, the School of Education, and the School of Law.
The main campus of St. John's University is an urban one. The campus is bordered by Union Turnpike to the north and Grand Central Parkway to the south. The university also has three residential New York City campuses in Queens, Lower Manhattan, Staten Island, as well as branch campuses in Oakdale and Rome, Italy.
St. John's University also houses several research centers and institutes. Among them are the Center for Psychological Services and Clinical Studies, the Speech and Hearing Center, the Committee on Latin American and Caribbean Studies, the Vincentian Center for Church and Society, and the Institute for Asian Studies.
- Hueppe, Frederick E., "The Radiant Light: a history of St. John's College presented in the Vincentian," 1955, (St. John's University Archives).
- Morris, Barbara L., "To Define A Catholic University: the 1965 Crisis at St. John's" (Ed.D. thesis, Columbia University Teachers College, 1977)
- Anthony Joseph Bevilacqua - Cardinal and Archbishop of Philadelphia
- Bruce R. Bent - Inventor of first Money Market Fund
- Walter Berry - Professional basketball player
- Ron Brown - U.S. Secretary of Commerce
- Hugh Carey - Governor of New York
- Lou Carnesecca - Legendary Men's Basketball Coach
- William J. Casey - Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
- Mario Cuomo - Governor of New York
- George Deukmejian - Governor of California
- Alexander A. Farrelly - Governor of the U.S. Virgin Islands
- Mike Francesa - Sportscaster
- John Franco - Professional baseball player
- Mark A. Jackson - Professional basketball player
- Shalrie Joseph - Professional soccer player
- Denis P. Kelleher - Founder and CEO of Wall Street Access
- Raymond W. Kelly - New York City police commissioner
- Chris Mullin - Professional basketball player
- Harvey Pitt - Chairman of the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Charles B. Rangel - U.S. Congressman
- Malik Sealy - Professional basketball player
- Ron Silver - Tony Award-winning Actor
- Peter J. Tobin - Chief Financial Officer of The Chase Manhattan Corporation
- Daniel P. Tully - Chairman Emeritus and CEO of Merrill Lynch & Co., Inc.
- Bill Wennington - Professional basketball player and Author
- Jayson Williams - Professional basketball player and Author
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details