Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
St. Mary's College, Kansas
The college was founded in 1848 as an Indian mission. The school is the site of the first cathedral west of the Missouri River and east of the Rockies, the 1851 "log cathedral" of Bishop Jean-Baptiste Miege , S.J., Apostolic Vicar of Pope Pius IX known familiarly as "The Bishop East of the Rockies".
(School literature refers to Bishop Miege's cathedral as the first cathedral west of the Missisipi. However, upper California was part of the Diocese of Sonora, Mexico which was established in 1779 by Pius VI and, after 1840 it was under the bishop of Alta and Baja (Upper and Lower) California until the establishement of the Diocese of Monterey in 1850. Further, the Dioceses of St Louis, MO was established in 1826 and the cornerstone of the current Basilica laid in 1831 on the western bank of the Mississippi river. )
The 465 acre (1.9 km²) college became one of the most prominent United States sites for Catholic higher education but closed in 1968 with the decline of the Jesuit order, which had operated the school. In 1978 the Society of Saint Pius X purchased the property along with 12 major buildings. The school is now incorporated in Kansas as The Society of Saint Pius X, Saint Mary's, Inc.
As of 2003, the Academy had enrollment of 750 students K-12 and the college had enrollment of 60 in a liberal arts curriculum. St. Mary's does not have a seminary program. St Mary's offers boarding for students in the 8th grade and higher.
In 2002, the governor of Kansas formally recognized Saint Mary's Academy and College for the excellence of its educational curriculum.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details