Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Stittsville, Ontario is a suburban area of Ottawa located immediately to the south-west of Kanata, about 30 km (19 miles) from downtown Ottawa. Originally settled in 1824 in Goulbourn Township, Stittsville was later named after Jackson Stitt, the first postmaster.
The village has transformed in recent years from a farming community of under 1000 people into a more upscale suburb of over 15,000 employed in large part by Ottawa's high-tech industry. Further growth is expected in the near future.
It was incorporated as a police village in 1956, and became a full village in 1961. In 1974 it was amalgamated into Goulbourn Township. In 2001 Goulbourn was inturn amalgamated into the City of Ottawa.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details