Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
TCB (television special)
|TCB – The Original Cast Soundtrack|
|Cast recording by Diana Ross & the Supremes and The Temptations|
|Released||December 10, 1968|
|Length||38 mins 24 secs|
|Record label||Motown Records|
|Producer||Motown Productions, Inc./George Schlatter-Ed Friendly Productions|
|Allmusic.com||2.5 stars out of 5||link|
TCB was a 1968 live television special produced by Motown Productions and George Schlatter-Ed Friendly Productions. The special was a musical revue starring Motown's two most popular groups at the time, Diana Ross & the Supremes and The Temptations. Containing a combnation of showtunes, specially prepared numbers, and popular Motown hits, the special was taped before a live studio audience in September 1968 and originally broadcast December 9, 1968 on NBC. The title of the program uses a then-popular acronym, "TCB", which stands for "Taking Care of Business".
The special was one of a number of Supremes/Temptations join projects during the late-1960s. The Supremes had recently replaced Florence Ballard with Cindy Birdsong and The Temptations had just switched David Ruffin with Dennis Edwards, and doing a high-profile television special such as this one helped to familiarize the audience with the new members. In addition, since the Supremes had a primarily white audience and the Temptations a primarily Black audience, the special allowed the audiences of each to cross over to and augment the audiences of the other. Finally, the special was a major showcase for Diana Ross, designed as one of the first steps towards launching her impending solo career, which officially began in January 1970.
Among the program's highlights were Diana Ross' "Afro Vogue" solo spot, Paul Williams' emotionally-charged rendition of "For Once in My Life", and a performance by The Temptations, with Eddie Kendricks on lead, of their 1966 hit "Get Ready".
A soundtrack album, TCB – The Original Cast Soundtrack was released the day after the special aired on December 10 and reached #1 on the U.S. pop albums chart. A follow-up television special and album, G.I.T. on Broadway, were created the following year.
- Diana Ross
- Mary Wilson
- Cindy Birdsong
- Dennis Edwards
- Eddie Kendricks
- Paul Williams
- Melvin Franklin
- Otis Williams
- "Stop! In the Name of Love"
- Introduction of Diana Ross & the Supremes
- "You Keep Me Hangin' On"
- Introduction of the Temptations: "Get Ready"
- Introduction of Diana Ross: "The Way You Do the Things You Do"
- Medley: "Respect"/"Reflections"/"Afro-Vogue"/"Somewhere"/"Ain't Too Proud to Beg"
- Introduction of the Temptations
- "Hello, Young Lovers"
- "For Once in My Life"
- "(I Know) I'm Losing You"
- "With a Song in My Heart"/"Without a Song"
- Medley: "Come See About Me"/"My World Is Empty Without You"/"Baby Love"
- "I Hear a Symphony"
- "The Impossible Dream"
Tracklist for TCB – The Original Cast Soundtrack
- "TCB" (2:55)
- "Stop! In the Name of Love" (1:12)
- Introduction of Diana Ross & the Supremes (0:55)
- "You Keep Me Hangin' On" (1:48)
- Introduction of the Temptations: "Get Ready" (2:34)
- Introduction of Diana Ross: "The Way You Do the Things You Do" (3:23)
- Medley: "A Taste of Honey"/"Eleanor Rigby"/"Do You Know the Way to San Joe" (5:15)
- Introduction of the Temptations (0:45)
- "Hello, Young Lovers" (2:17)
- "For Once in My Life" (3:43)
- "(I Know) I'm Losing You" (3:07)
- "With a Song in My Heart"/"Without a Song" (3:00)
- Medley: "Come See About Me"/"My World Is Empty Without You"/"Baby Love" (2:20)
- "I Hear a Symphony" (2:47)
- "The Impossible Dream" (3:10)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details