Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Taylor Township, Michigan
The township was originally a part of Ecorse Township, but that township was too large for area residents to easily participate in civic affairs of the township. The residents petitioned to form a separate community, which was granted in 1847. The community was named Taylor Township, to honor General Zachary Taylor, a hero in the Mexican-American War who would go on to become President of the United States.
The first registered property owner was Peter Coan, who purchased an 80 acre (320,000 m²) parcel from the United States government in 1830.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details