Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
This city is divided in three sectors, namely Lachenaie, La Plaine and Terrebonne. These sectors used to be distinct cities, but, in 2001, consented in merging and formed the new city under the name of Terrebonne
The city of Lachenaie is the oldest one and was founded in 1670 by Lord Charles Aubert de Lachenaye. Some natives were already present on this territory at the time. The colonisation really started in 1647 when Lachenaie was merged with the Repentigny Seigniory.
The city of La Plaine was founded in 1830 on fragments of other cities, namely Mascouche, Sainte-Anne-des-Plaines, Saint-Lin and Terrebonne. At that time, the lords of Terrebonne and Lachenaie were building the road named "chemin de la Grande Ligne" to join the two cities. It is now called the boulevard Laurier. In 1877, the rail system was developped and stimulated the economic growth. The village of Saint-Joachim was founded during that time, which was later, in 1920, to be renamed La Plaine.
The first lord of Terrebonne was André Daulier-Deslandes, who got his title in 1673. After the construction of the first wooden bridge in 1834, two main areas immerged. The commercial area was Terrebonne, and the agricultural was Saint-Louis de Terrebonne. In 1985, the two cities merged.
At the time of the merge in 2001, Lachenaie had more than 20,000 citizens, La Plaine had 17,000 denizens and Terrebonne consisted of almost 46,000 citizens. This merge made Terrebonne the 10th biggest city in Quebec, with around 100,000 citizens on a 156 km² territory.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details