Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Legend of the Condor Heroes
The Legend of Condor Heroes (hanzi:traditional character射雕英雄傳/simplified character射雕英雄传,pinyin: Shèdiāo Yīngxióng Zhuàn) is a 1957 novel, the first part of the Condor Trilogy written by Jin Yong, the pen name for Chinese author Louis Cha. The pin yin She Diao Ying Xiong Zhuan is roughly translated to Legend of the Eagle-Shooting Heroes.
The story is set in the middle of Song Dynasty and at the beginning of the Mongolian Invasion of China. The first part of the novel revolves around the friendship of two young men, Yang Tie Xin and Guo Xiao Tian who become heroes in their own rights as they fight against the invading Jin soldiers. The bond between the two was so deep that they swore to each other when their children are born, they would become either sworn brothers (if both are males) or sworn sisters (if both are females).
The second part of the story focuses more on the trials and tribulations that both of their sons underwent. Guo Jing, Guo Xiao Tian's son grows up in Mongolia, under the care of Genghis Khan. Yang Kang , on the other hand, grows up as a prince in the Jin Empire.
Yang Tiexin married Bao Xiruo while Guo Xiaotian settled down with Li Ping . When the Jin soldiers invaded Northern Song, Yang Tie Xin and Guo Xiao Tian joined the citizens who fought them. Wanyan Honglie , a prince of Jin, happened upon Guo Xiao Tian's wife, Bao Xi Rou . Enchanted by her beauty, Wanyan Honglie murdered her whole family and took her with him back to his kingdom. Bao Xiruo was deceived into believing that her husband was dead and that Wanyan Honglie was her savior. In her gratitude, she agreed to marry him but she did not live with him in the palace, choosing instead to live alone in a simple cottage. Her son, Yang Kang grew up in the palace and was treated by Wanyan Honglie as his own flesh and blood.
Meanwhile, after the death of her husband, Guo Xiaotian , Li Ping was rescued by Mongolian soldiers and brought to their country. Thus, in the harsh deserts of Mongolia, Guo Xiao Tian's son, Guo Jing was born and raised.
Before the death of Guo Xiaotian at the hands of government officials, he and Yang Tiexin met a Taoist, Qiu Chuji who helped them name their two sons. Jing Kang (靖康) is the era name of Emperor Qinzong (the last emperor of the Northern Song dynasty) who was abducted by the invading Jin soldiers. Qiu Chu Ji wanted the children to remember this tragic incident, and hopefully help restore glory to their country and defeat the Jin when they grow up. The name was also symbolic of Guo and Yang's patriotism.
While still a little boy growing up in Mongolia, Guo Jing saved a prominent Mongolian general, Zhe Bie from Genghis Khan. This event led to his subsequent tutelage under Zhe Bie and his closeness with the khan and his family. His childhood friend was Genghis' son, Tuo Lei and daughter, Wah Jang . Later, Guo Jing became a disciple of Ke Zhen'e of Jiangnan 7 Guai .
Yang Kang , on the other hand, grew up in luxury and great comfort in the royal court of Jin. His foster father, Wanyan Honglie loved his mother very much so that the affections he had for the mother was transferred to the son. Yang Kang's teacher was the Taoist Qiu Chuji who taught him the martial arts of Quan Zhen Sect.
Unknown to both, Jiangnan 7 Guai leader, Ke Zhen'e had previously made a bet with Qiu Chuji that they would teach both boys martial arts and let them duel on their sixteenth year.
- Guo Jing - is the hero in the story. He is the son of Guo Xiao Tian and Li Ping
- Huang Rong - is the love interest of Guo Jing in the story. A daughter of the eccentric Island Master Huang Yao Shi , she disguises herself as a little beggar and follows Guo Jing around.
- Mu Nianci - is the love interest of Yang Kang . She is the foster daughter of Yang Tie Xin , Yang Kang's father.
- Guo Xiao Tian - is Guo Jing's father who died under the hands of Jin prince Wanyan Honglie .
- Yang Tie Xin - is Yang Kang's father and the sworn brother of Guo Xiao Tian .
- Bao Xi Rou - is Yang Kang's mother. She thought that Yang Tie Xin was dead and so agreed to marry Wanyan Honglie
- Li Ping - is Guo Jing's mother and Guo Xiao Tian's wife. After Guo Xiao Tian's death, she managed to flee and was rescued by Mongolian soldiers.
- Yang Kang - is the sworn brother of Guo Jing and a prince of Jin. He is the son of Yang Tiexin and Bao Xiruo .
- Ouyang Ke - is the only son of West Poison (Xi Du) Ou Yang Feng .
- Qiu Qianren - is the leader of Iron Palm Sect .
- Qiu Qianran - is Qiu Qianren's twin brother. Because they look extremely alike, he oftentimes pretends to be his brother.
- Wanyan Honglie - is a prince of Jin and Yang Kang's foster father.
- Cheng Maofeng - is a disciple of Island Master (Dong Xie) Huang Yaoshi.
The Five Greats
The five greats (Wu Gao Shu) of Jin Yong's wulin are:
- Wang Chongyang - is known as Zhong Shen Tong. He is the most powerful of the five and winner of the martial arts competition (Luen Jian) in Hua Shan. The prize is the sacred book, Scripture of Jiu Yin (Jiu Yin Zhen Jing). Before he founded the Taoist school of martial arts, Quan Zhen Sect, he fought for his country against the Mongolians.
- Huang Yao Shi - is known as East Heretic (Dong Xie). Labeled as an eccentric, he does as he pleases and doesn't abide to the rules and tradition that governed the world of Jiang Hu (Martial Arts) at the time.
- Ou Yang Feng - is known as West Poison (Xi Du). His obsession with the Jiu Yin Zhen Jing blinded him and darkened his personality.
- Duan Zhi Xing - is known as South Emperor (Nan Di). He is a powerful emperor of Dali.
- Hong Qi Gong - is known as the North Beggar (Bei Gai). He is the eighteenth leader of Beggar Sect (Gai Bang) and a lover of exotic food and wine.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details