Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Maxx is a comic book series written by Sam Kieth with William Messner-Loebs and published by Image Comics. It follows the life of Maxx (a.k.a. The Maxx), a homeless man who thinks he is a superhero of some sort. Maxx shifts between two worlds: the real world, and the dream world (which he refers to as Australia or, more often, The Outback), which is just as real to him as the real world. Julie Winters is a freelance social worker who takes pity on Maxx and befriends him. Little does she know, she and Maxx have a deeper connection, and it involves the dream world that Maxx is constantly drawn into.
The Maxx was also adapted into an animated series for MTV in April of 1995, as part of the animated series block Oddities . It ran for 13 episodes, covered half of the comic book series, and was a very faithful adaptation, with many lines taken verbatim from the comics.
A spin-off comic book series was made, called Friends of Maxx .
- The Maxx - A homeless man who shifts between the real world and the dream world (Outback) against his will. He is dressed in a purple superhero outfit , which he wears for reasons even he doesn't understand (though he fears what he may discover by taking it off).
- Julie Winters - A social worker who is friends with Maxx. She is somehow connected to the Outback world that Maxx often shifts to.
- Sarah - A depressed teenager who is the daughter of a friend of Julie's. She is often in conflict with her mother, due to her attempts to bring her up to not be like her father, whom her mother gives little information on other than the fact that he committed suicide. She gets caught up in Maxx and Julie's situation, which may just involve her too.
- Mr. Gone - A psychopath who has been killing people in the city that Maxx and Julie live in. He appears to know about the Outback world and Maxx's shifting between it and reality. He seems to be after Julie.
- The Isz - Creatures in the Outback that attack and hunt The Maxx when he is in that world. They appear humanoid, except they are little over a foot tall and have no eyes or ears. In the Outback world, they are white, toothless, and attack in large packs. When they enter the real world through portals, they turn black, grow sharp teeth, and are stronger and faster, allowing them to fight in smaller groups. Apart from this, while on the real world, they assume different appearances depending on the clothes they wear (if one is dressed as an old lady, it appears as an old lady). Mr. Gone can control them in the real world, and uses them to subdue Maxx and carry out other tasks for him.
Technical data (tv series)
- other titles: MTV Oddities Presents The Maxx, MTV's The Maxx, Sam Kieth's The Maxx
- directors: Yeol Jung Chang, Eugene Salandra, Ilya Skorupsky, Gregg Vanzo
- writing credits: Sam Kieth (comic book), Bill Messner-Loebs
- music: Miki Navazio, Kurt Vanzo
- episodes: 13
- runtime: 23 min
- aspect ratio: 1.33 : 1
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details