Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment)
It was formed as a Fusilier regiment in 1685 by Lord Dartmouth, George Legge, from two companies of the Tower of London guard, and was originally called the Ordnance Regiment. Most regiments were equipped with matchlock muskets at the time, but the Ordnance Regiment were armed with Fusils. This was because their task was to be an escort for the artillery, for which matchlocks would have carried the risk of igniting the barrels of gunpowder.
It became the 7th Regiment of Foot (Royal Fusiliers) in 1751 and in 1881 under the Cradwell Reforms when numbers were abolished it became The Royal Fusiliers (City of London Regiment).
On 23 April, 1968 the regiment was amalgamated with the Royal Northumberland Fusiliers (5th Ft.), The Royal Warwickshire Fusiliers (6th.Ft) and the Lancashire Fusiliers ( 20th Ft) to form 3rd.Bn. The Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details