Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The Star Beast
- June 1954, Scribner, library binding, ISBN 0684124211
- March 12, 1977, Del Rey, paperback, ISBN 034526066X
- June 1, 1977, Holiday House, hardcover, ISBN 0684153297
- December 12, 1977, Del Rey, paperback, ISBN 0345275802
- August 12, 1983, Del Rey, paperback, ISBN 0345314689
- June 12, 1987, Del Rey, paperback reissue edition, 256 pages, ISBN 0345350596
John Thomas Stuart, one of whose ancestors brought "Cuddlepup" home from an interstellar voyage, has a problem. The pet he inherited has grown to gargantuan proportions; it ate a used Buick and (still worse) destroyed a neighbor's flowers. His mother wants him to get rid of it, and a court orders it destroyed.
Johnny's only alternative is to sell his pet to a museum (which would study it to death, if they didn't dissect it immediately). So early one morning he runs away to the hills, riding on his talking pet's back. His girlfriend joins him and suggests bringing the beast back into town; they could hide it in a neighbor's greenhouse.
The rest of the novel describes the discovery of the alien pet's true nature, and the diplomatic repercussions of this fact.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details