Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Theodore Roosevelt Island
The original American Indian inhabitants of the area called the island, "Analostan." The Mason family owned the island for 125 years and John Mason built a mansion and gardens there in the early 19th century. Part of the mansion's foundation is all that remains today. The Masons left the island in 1831 when a causeway stagnated the water. Aside from a brief period in the Civil War when Union troops were stationed there, the island has been uninhabited since the Masons left. Locals continued to call it "Mason's Island" until the memorial was built there.
The Theodore Roosevelt Memorial Association purchased the 91-acre (37-hectare), wooded island in 1932 with the intention of erecting a memorial honoring Roosevelt. Congress appropriated funds for the memorial in 1960 which was dedicated October 27, 1967. The memorial, designed by Eric Gugler , includes a 17-foot (5-meter) statue by sculptor Paul Manship. The island is now maintained by the National Park Service.
Although the island is part of the District of Columbia, it is only accessible by a footbridge near the George Washington Memorial Parkway from Arlington, Virginia. No cars or bicycles are permitted on the island.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details