Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Third Air Force
Third Air Force was established in 1940 as the Southeast Air District to provide air defence for that part of continental United States, it also provided air defense and conducted combat training for personnel of newly formed units in World War II. After the war it served Tactical Air Command, then inactivated.
Commands During World War II
- II Air Support Command 1942-43
- III Air Support Command 1943
- III Bomber Command 1941-46
- III Fighter Command 1941-46
- III Reconnaissance Command 1942-46
- III Tactical Air Command 1942-45
The Third Air Force returned to active service in 1951 as one of the tactical air forces of U.S. Air Forces Europe, the other being the Sixteenth Air Force based at Aviano AB , Italy. The 3rd Air Force is based at RAF Mildenhall in the United Kingdom.
- 100th Aerial Refueling Wing - RAF Mildenhall
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details