Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
It was founded in 1866 as Maryland State Normal School and over time was situated at several locations in Baltimore, Maryland. Its original mission was to train teachers for the Maryland public school system. In 1915 it moved to Towson and in 1935 its name was changed to Maryland State Teachers College at Towson. In 1963 the name was again changed, this time to Towson State College. In 1976 the school became Towson State University and in 1997 it dropped the "state" designation to become Towson University.
Towson educates undergraduate and graduate students in thirty academic departments which are subdivided into eight colleges:
- Business and Economics
- Extended Programs
- Fine Arts and Communication
- Graduate Education and Research
- Health Professions
- Liberal Arts
- Science and Mathematics
The university also provides 26 master's degree programs.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details