Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Industry trade group
An industry trade group is generally a public relations organization funded, founded and formed by corporations that operate in a specific industry. Its purpose is generally to promote that industry through PR activities such as advertising, education, political donations, political pressure, publishing, and astroturfing.
Sometimes an industry association participates in public relations activities, but its main focus is in non-PR work such as collaboration between companies, or standardization.
US Political money
In the United States of America, these organizations frequently send money to political candidates via Political Action Committees. This data can be looked up on the website of the Federal Election Commission.
Industry trade groups produce advertisements, just as normal corporations do. However, whereas typical advertisements are for a specific corporate product, such as a specific brand of cheese or toilet paper, Industry trade groups advertisements are targeted to promote the views of an entire industry.
Below are two different general types of advertising used by these groups.
Ads to improve industry image
These ads are vague and mention only the industries products as a whole, painting them in a positive light in order to have the public form positive associations with that industry and its products. For example, in the USA the advertising campaign "Beef, it's what's for dinner" is used by the National Cattlemen's Beef Association to promote a positive image of beef in the public consciousness.
Ads to shape opinion on a specific issue
List of worldwide industry trade groups
- Alliance of Automobile Manufacturers
- Association of International Automobile Manufacturers
- North-American Interfraternity Conference
- Tire Industry Association
- World Coal Institute
- World Nuclear Association
List of US national industry trade groups
- American Chemistry Council
- American Plastics Council
- Association of Oil Pipelines
- Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Consumer Data Industry Association
- Information Technology Association of America
- Motion Picture Association of America
- National Association of Energy Service Companies
- National Cattlemen's Beef Association
- National Hot Dog & Sausage Council
- National Mining Association
- National Restaurant Association
- Nuclear Energy Institute
- Petroleum Marketer's Association of America
- Recording Industry Association of America
- Retail Industry Leaders Association
- Rubber Manufactuer's Association
- United States Telecom Association
List of Indian industry trade groups
List of Canadian industry trade groups
- Coal Association of Canada
- Mining Association of Canada
List of UK industry trade groups
- Nuclear Industry Association
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details