Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Tranquebar was a Danish colony in India from 1620-1845, founded by the Danish East India Company. It is spelled Trankebar or Trangebar in Danish, which came from the native Tamil Tarangambadi, meaning "place of the singing waves". It is located in Nagapattinam district about 100 km south of Pondicherry, near the mouth of a distributary of the Kaveri. It was sold to Britain in 1845, whereafter much of it fell into disrepair. The main fort, known as Fort Dansborg, was built in 1620 CE by a Danish captain named Ore Gedde and was the residence of the governor and other officials for about 150 years. It is now a museum hosting a collection of artefacts from the time of Danish presence in the region. Churches, the fort and the city gates are now being restored for tourism.
Marine archaeology and Underwater Exploration
A joint project between the National Institute of Oceanography, Chennai and the Scientific Exploration Society, U.K have explored the Mahabalipuram coast to the edge of the Kaveri delta. The studies have indicated the presence of a seaward sea-wall protecting the fort and a Siva temple. Evidence has also been obtained regarding the advance of the shoreline towards the ruins of the fort.
References and External Links
- National Institute of Oceanography: Mahabalipuram and Poompuhar
- Tranquebar: The Danish East India Company 1616-1669
- Coins of Danish India
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details