Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Travelcard Zone 1
Travelcard Zone 1 is the most central zone of Transport for London's zonal system used for calculating co-ordinated inter-modal Travelcard fares within London. In this zonal system, London is split into six (approximately concentric) zones for the purpose of determining the cost of a Travelcard. The zone is also used for pricing London Underground and Docklands Light Railway single journeys, but not journeys undertaken entirely by bus or tram, for which a city-wide flat fare applies.
The boundary of zone 1 roughly corresponds to the route of the Underground's Circle Line and thus stations within the zone cover the West End, the Holborn district, Kensington, Paddington and the City of London. However, Old Street, Angel, Pimlico, Tower Gateway, Aldgate East and Euston, Vauxhall, Elephant & Castle, Borough, London Bridge, Earl's Court, Marylebone, Edgware Road, Lambeth North and Waterloo are in zone 1 but not in or on the Circle Line.
A single trip within the zone costs £2.00 for adults and £0.60 for children (2005 prices). If you use an Oyster card, you pay £1.70 for a single journey. Books of ten single tickets - "Tube Carnet" - are also sold for £17.
Underground stations within this zone are typically close together. For instance Covent Garden and Leicester Square tube stations are only an eighth of a mile apart. Tourists and other visitors commonly stay in Zone 1 for much of their stay in London and therefore Zone 1 is London to many non-Londoners.
The following stations are in Travelcard Zone 1:
- Aldgate, Aldgate East, Angel
- Baker Street, Bank, Barbican, Bayswater, Blackfriars, Bond Street, Borough
- Cannon Street, Chancery Lane, Charing Cross (London Underground), Charing Cross (National Rail), City Thameslink, Covent Garden
- Earl's Court*, Edgware Road, Elephant & Castle*, Embankment, Euston, Euston Square
- Farringdon, Fenchurch Street, Fenchurch Street
- Gloucester Road, Goodge Street, Great Portland Street, Green Park
- High Street Kensington, Holborn, Hyde Park Corner
- Kings Cross, King's Cross St. Pancras, Kings Cross Thameslink, Knightsbridge
- Lambeth North, Lancaster Gate, Leicester Square, Liverpool Street, London Bridge
- Mansion House, Marble Arch, Marylebone, Monument, Moorgate
- Notting Hill Gate*
- Old Street, Oxford Circus
- Paddington, Piccadilly Circus, Pimlico
- Regent's Park, Russell Square
- Sloane Square, South Kensington, Southwark, St. James's Park, St Pancras, St. Paul's
- Temple, Tottenham Court Road, Tower Gateway, Tower Hill
- Vauxhall*, Victoria
- Warren Street, Waterloo, Westminster
The stations marked with * are also in Travelcard Zone 2. In calculating fares to or from stations on the boundary of two zones, the station is assumed to be in the zone which yields the cheaper fare.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details