Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Trinity Hall, Cambridge
The devastation caused by the Black Death plague of the 1340s caused the loss of nearly half of the English population; Bishop Bateman himself lost nearly 700 of his parish priests, and so his decision to found a college was probably centred around a need to rebuild the priesthood. Thus in the foundation of 1350, Bateman stated that the college's aim was "the promotion of divine worship and of canon and civil science and direction of the commonwealth and especially of our church and diocese of Norwich." This led the college to be particularly strong in legal studies, a tradition that has continued over the centuries.
The college site on the River Cam was originally obtained from the purchase of a house from John de Crauden to house the monks during their study, and the main court was built in the college's first few decades.
The chapel was licensed in 1352 and built in 1366, in the year that Pope Urban V granted the Master and fellows permission to celebrate Mass in the college. In 1729, Sir Nathaniel Lloyd redecorated the chapel in what remains an intimate style, forming the smallest of the university's chapels.
The college library was built in the late sixteenth century, probably during the mastership of Thomas Preston and is now principally used for the storage of manuscripts and rare books. The new Jerwood Library overlooking the river was opened by Lord Howe in 1999.
Historically, Trinity Hall was known for being strong in Law; today, it has strengths not only in Law but across a range of academic subjects including all the sciences and arts. Situated on the River Cam, hidden between King's College and Trinity College, the college has a reputation for its food, as well as its friendly and unpretentious atmosphere. It also performs well in sports and has well-known musical and dramatic societies.
It is a relatively small institution when compared to its larger but younger neighbour, Trinity College, founded in 1546, with whom it has a certain rivalry. At first all colleges in Cambridge were known as halls (i.e. Clare College was Clare Hall) and then later changed their names from hall to college. However, when Henry VIII founded Trinity (thereby in effect stealing Trinity Hall's name) next door, it became clear that Trinity Hall would continue being known as a hall. This is also why it is absolutely incorrect to call it Trinity Hall College.
The present Master is historian Professor Martin Daunton .
Notable college alumni include:
- Hans Blix, former UN Chief Weapons Inspector
- Norman Fowler
- Stephen Hawking (post-grad), physicist
- Robert Herrick, poet
- Matt Holness , aka Perrier Comedy Award-winning Garth Marenghi
- Geoffrey Howe, former MP and Chancellor of the Exchequer
- Admiral Howard
- Nicholas Hytner, theatre and film director
- Donald Maclean, Soviet spy
- Andrew Marr, BBC Political Editor
- Khwaja Nazimuddin, Pakistan's second Prime Minister
- J.B. Priestley, writer
- Robert Runcie, former Archbishop of Canterbury
- David Sheppard
- Tony Slattery, comedian
- Ginnosuke Tanaka introduced rugby to Japan
- Terry Waite was a fellow of Trinity Hall
- Rachel Weisz, actress
- Trinity Hall: The History of a Cambridge College, 1350-1975, Charles Crawley, ISBN 0950512206
- The Hidden Hall: Portrait of a Cambridge College, Peter Pagnamenta, ISBN 1903942314
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details