Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The park has been open since about 1986, and it is home to the world's largest outdoor wave pool. The theme of the park is the "Disney legend" of a typhoon that wreaked havoc upon a formerly pristine tropical paradise. Ships, fishing gear, and surfboards are strewn about where the storm flung them. The centerpiece of the park is "Miss Tilly," a shrimp boat impaled upon a "volcanic peak" that erupts water every half hour.
The featured attractions of Typhoon Lagoon include:
- Humunga Kowabunga, three enclosed "speed slide" flumes that hurtle riders downward five stories into a pool in seconds.
- Storm Slides, three tamer enclosed water slides (Jib Jammer, Stern Burner and Rudder Buster) from a height of three stories.
- Gang Plank Falls, a water slide featuring large four-person inner tubes.
- Castaway Creek, a "lazy river" tube ride that slowly circles the entire park, passing through gentle waterfalls and mist screens.
- Ketchakiddee Creek, a play area for young children featuring small slides and fountains.
- Crush 'n' Gusher, a thrill ride where one-person rafts are propelled by water jets through hairpin turns and drop-offs.
- Surf Pool, one of the world's largest wave pools, which alternates between periods of gentle swells and ten-foot-high waves. Surfing gear and lessons are also available.
- Shark Reef, where guests can snorkel through a saltwater tank populated with manta rays, sharks and tropical fish.
- A sandy white beach dotted with palm trees that encircles the wave pool, allowing guests to tan or simply people-watch.
A gift shop near the park's entrance features the usual Disney souvenirs as well as beachgoing accessories such as sunscreen, swimwear, and sunglasses. Food stands throughout Typhoon Lagoon sell snacks, full meals and trademark Disney treats like basted turkey drumsticks and Mickey Mouse ice cream bars.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details