Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
U.S. Highway 50
United States Highway 50 is an east-west United States highway. As the "0" in its route number suggests, US 50 is a coast-to-coast route, or at least nearly so. Signs at both termini give the Maryland to California distance as 3,073 miles (4,946 km), though the exact mileage varies due to bypasses, Interstate highway co-signings, and other realignments.
In Nevada, US 50 is known as "The Loneliest Road in America", due to the bleak terrain and very low traffic. This stretch is also home to "The Loneliest Payphone in America".
As of 2004, the highway's eastern terminus is in Ocean City, Maryland at the southern end of a barrier island, where it intersects Maryland State Highway 528 . Its western terminus is in West Sacramento, California at an intersection with Interstate 80.
The Sacramento terminus used to have a sign saying "US 50 East / Ocean City, MD / 3073 Miles". It was stolen by a fraternity sometime during 2002, and was replaced with a more ordinary mileage sign. When installed, the replacement erroneously listed the distance as 3,037 miles (4,888 km), but it was subsequently patched over with the correct mileage. 
As of 2004, Alternate US 50 in Nevada has an eastern terminus west of Fallon. It heads to the northwest to an intersection with Interstate 80 in Fernley, then turns due south with Alternate US 95. It rejoins US 50 in Silver Springs, with Alt US 95 continuing south. The two legs of Alt US 50 and the main line route form a 30 mile (48 km) triangle in the Nevada desert.
The highway passes through the following states:
- District of Columbia (via New York Avenue)
- West Virginia
- Back into Maryland (for less than 10 miles)
- Back into West Virginia
Related US Routes
- U.S. Highway 150
- U.S. Highway 250
- U.S. Highway 350
- U.S. Highway 450
- U.S. Highway 550
- U.S. Highway 650
- List of United States Highways
- Known as the John Hanson Highway from Annapolis, Maryland to Washington, DC.
- Multiplexed with
- Maryland State Highway 16 in Cambridge, Maryland
- U.S. Highway 301 from Queenstown, Maryland to Bowie, Maryland
- Maryland State Highway 2 in Annapolis, Maryland
- Interstate 595 (unsigned) from Annapolis, Maryland to the Capital Beltway in New Carrollton, Maryland
- Interstate 66 across the Theodore Roosevelt Bridge between Washington, D.C., and Arlington County, Virginia
Sources and external links
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details