Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Cosmic Era Mobile Units
"Gundam" is never used in the series to officially identify any mobile suit; it is an acronym for two of the various Mobile Operating Systems used to run mobile suits, and Kira Yamato uses it as a nickname to refer to his mobile suit. The word "Gundam" is used in marketing copy and model kit/toy packaging to designate the "hero" mobile suits, as opposed to the normal "grunt" mobile suits.
Clyne Faction (Three Ships Alliance)
The Clyne Faction, or Three Ships Alliance, comprises the Archangel warship, the Eternal support ship, the Kusanagi prototype ship and several mobile suits. Being the Clyne Faction a unit comprised mostly by either ZAFT or Earth Alliance defectors, plus Orb Union personnel, it does not have any MS research nor production capability.
They deploy the following units (see the original constructors' sections for detailed information):
- EA's GAT-X103 Buster - Stolen by ZAFT, then retaken. Piloted by Dearka Elsman.
- EA's GAT-X105 Strike - Piloted by Kira Yamato until it is destroyed by Aegis. Rebuilt by Orb, it is then piloted by Mu La Flaga.
- Orb's MBF-02 Strike Rouge - Piloted by Cagalli Yula Athha.
- Orb's MBF-M1 M1 Astray - Eleven units, pilots included Asagi Caldwell, Juri Wu Nien, Mayura Labatt, and Jean Carry.
- Orb's MBF-M1A M1A Astray - One unit, piloted by Barry Ho.
- ZAFT's ZGMF-X10A Freedom - Piloted by Kira Yamato, severely damaged in Kira's battle with Rau Le Creuset, but repaired by Orb after the Bloody Valentine War.
- ZAFT's ZGMF-X09A Justice - Piloted by Athrun Zala, self-destructed to destroy GENESIS.
- EA's Moebius Zero (TS-MA2mod.00) - Mu La Flaga's custom mobile armor
- EA's Mistral (MAW-01) - Several units are stored in Archangel's hangar.
OMNI mobile suits have the designation GAT (Gressorial Armament Tactical). Experimental units in the series include the modifier of "X" before the unit designation number (example: GAT-X105 Strike). The word "Gressorial" means "adapted for walking". Mobile armors have the designation TS-MA (Theater Suppression - Mobile Armor).
OMNI's mobile suit operating system is designated "General Unilateral Neurolink Dispersive Autonomic Maneuver" (or "GUNDAM").
The Calamity, Forbidden, and Raider, along with their variants are equipped with a type of Phase Shift Armor called Trans-Phase Armor. TP armor varies from PS armor in that it activates only at the point and time of impact, because of this it uses less energy than PS armor, that energy can be used for heavy energy weapons.
- GAT-X102 Duel - General-purpose mobile suit, the first of the series. Stolen by ZAFT.
- GAT-X103 Buster - Medium-range artillery MS, equipped with two powerful cannons that can be combined together to form either a long range beam sniper rifle or a highly damaging beam shotgun. Stolen by ZAFT, later recovered.
- GAT-X105 Strike - Close combat MS, it uses power-up parts called Striker Packs to change configuration:
- GAT-X105+AQM/E-X01 Aile Strike - the most used pack, provides 2x beam sabers; additional maneuverability and atmospheric flight.
- GAT-X105+AQM/E-X02 Sword Strike - provides a MS-sized anti-ship beam saber, rocket anchor and a beam boomberang; enchances short-range melee attacks.
- GAT-X105+AQM/E-X03 Launcher Strike - provides a high impulse beam cannon and additional shoulder mounted weapons; battleship-grade long range firepower.
- GAT-X105+AQM/E-X04 Gunbarrel Strike - An MA that's an enhancement of the Moebius Zero, it can transform into a Striker pack, providing the Strike or 105 Dagger all-range attack by using its 4 wire-guided weapon pods.
- GAT-X105+P202QX Strike IWSP - Integrated Weapon System Pack, combines the benefits of all aforementioned packs by modifying a basic Aile Striker with two cannons and two rail cannons, as well as two 9.1m solid state anti-ship swords.
- GAT-X105+P204QX Lighting Strike - Provides two additional energy packs and a sniper-class rail cannon, gives it at least additional 150% of operating time.
- GAT-X131 Calamity - Artillery prototype MS, carries a heavy weapon loadout, with 2 beam cannons on the shoulders, 2 on the shield, and a high energy beam cannon in the chest, as well as a powerful plasma sabot bazooka. Its "living CPU" pilot is Orga Sabnak.
- GAT-X133 Sword Calamity - Close combat version of Calamity, mounts two anti-ship swords instead of the backpack cannons, its shoulders have additional thrusters and mount two beam boomberangs, and it has two rocket anchors. It retains its chest mounted beam cannon, but it is 30% weaker than that of Calamity. Three units were built, piloted by famed aces Edward "Ed the Ripper" Harrelson and Rena "Sakura Burst" Imelia, and "Combat Coordinator" Four Socius.
- GAT-X207 Blitz - Uses the Mirage Colloid for stealth capabilities. Stolen by ZAFT, later destroyed by Strike.
- GAT-X252 Forbidden - Close-combat prototype MS, carries a powerful scythe and two movable shields which use the Mirage Colloid to deflect incoming beams. It is also heavily armed, with two CIWS, two machine cannons, a rail gun and a plasma induction cannon which it uses at all ranges with a controllable arcing beam. Its "living CPU" pilot is Shani Andras.
- GAT-X255 Forbidden Blue - Underwater combat prototype derived from the GAT-X252 Forbidden. Armed with a phonon maser cannon and supercativating torpedoes. At least two units were built, one piloted by "White Whale" Jane Houston.
- GAT-X303 Aegis - A trasformable MS-MA hybrid, can transform into mobile armor mode. It is equipped with a devasting beam cannon. Stolen by ZAFT and later self-destructed to destroy Strike.
- GAT-X370 Raider - A trasformable MS-MA hybrid, can transform into a high-speed fighter. It carries considerable weaponry, and can act as a subflight unit for the heavy, groundbound.
- GFAS-X1 Destroy - A heavily armed giant mobile suit, has a positron reflector that can nullify beam attacks. Its armament includes 4 large beam cannons, 20 smaller beam cannons, and 24 missile launchers on its massive backpack, 3 multi-phase energy cannons on its chest, 10 beam guns in its fingers, and 2 beam cannons on its forearm-mounted shields. It is able to annihilate an entire city easily with its overwhelming power. The "genocide machines" of this strategy level have exceeded the realm of standard tactics.
- GAT-01 Strike Dagger - Mass produced and simplified version of the Strike, carries a 57mm high energy beam rifle and one beam saber. Its first deployment is the Battle of Porta Panama, where the 13th Independent Mobile Battalion prove the mobile suit's worth.
- GAT-02L2 Dagger L - Mass-produced MS, the successor to the GAT-01A1 105 Dagger. Equipped with a beam carbine, beam sabers, a shield, and "Stiletto" knives. Can equip various Striker packs to modify armament and performance.
- GAT-04 Windam - Mass production GAT series MS. The successor to the Dagger L, it is similar in armament and can be equipped with the same Striker packs. Its performance is comparable to ZAFT's new ZAKU mobile suits.
- GAT-333 Raider Full Spec - A limited production version of Raider, specialized for atmospheric combat. Mounts missiles, machineguns, and disposable propellant tanks on external hardpoints.
- GAT-706S Deep Forbidden - The mass production version of Forbidden Blue. Identical to the latter, but with more hardpoints, and a strengthened pressure hull instead of the TP armor.
- TS-MA2 Moebius - Standard armament is a linear gun and four missiles, but these can be replaced by a single nuclear missile. It was used to destroy Junius 7 in the infamous "Bloody Valentine Incident".
- TS-MA4F Exass - Neo Lorrnoke's mobile armor, similar in concept and appearance to the TS-MA2mod.00 Moebius Zero. Armed with 2 railguns, a missile launcher, and 4 wire-guided gunbarrels, which each mount two beam guns and two beam sabers.
- MAW-01 Mistral - A standard mobile pod primarily used for colony defense and for general utility work. Cheap and easy to use.
- FX-550 Skygrasper - Support fighter capable of carrying and using Strike's weapon packs. Skygrasper unit #2 was an unlucky craft; in its brief life it was shot down twice and repaired both times before finally being destroyed.
- YMAF-A6BD Zamza-Zah - Amphibious mobile armor, has a giant body of unique shape. Three pilots are needed to operate it (one for the main section, one for the claws, and one gunner). It is equipped with combat claws and cannons in the limbs, and a positron reflector in the head capable of deflecting positron beams.
- TSX-MA717/ZD Pergrande - Prototype mobile armor, nuclear-powered and N-Jammer equipped. Features a multi-vector attack system called DRAGOON.
- YMAG-X7F Gerzu-Geh - Mobile armor with many similarities to the YMAF-A6BD Zamza-Zah defense mobile armor, but ground-based. It needs three pilots to operate it and also has a positron reflector. The lower body is spider-like, the upper body is that of a mobile suit (specifically, a GAT-04 Windam.)
While also in the Earth Alliance, the Eurasian Federation has their own mobile suits, the Composition Armament Tactical mobile suits. They are based on Acteton Industry's Gel-Finito.
- CAT1-X Hyperion - Unlike the Alliance's mobile suits, they do not have PS armor, but instead utlize the "Armure Lumiere" light wave shield generator, which can either simply create a lightwave shield on the forearm (which protects all attacks), or at the risk of running out of power, activate the "dome" mode, which provide 360 degrees protection. Aside from that, its armament (1x beam SMG and 5x beam knives) also has internal batteries. It also has two shoulder-mounted beam cannons. The beam armament is variable-speed, allowing the unit to return fire through the Armure Lumiere. Hyperion can only power the 360 degree barrier for 5 minutes.
ZAFT mobile suits have the following designations and meanings:
- ZGMF (Zero-Gravity Maneuver Fighter)
- ZGMT (Zero-Gravity Maneuver Trainer)
- AMF (Aerial Maneuver Fighter)
- TFA (Terrestrial Fighter Artillery
- TMF/A (Terrestrial Maneuver Fighter/Attacker
- UWMF/S (UnderWater Maneuver Fighter/Striker(?))
- UMF (Underwater Maneuver Fighter)
- YMF (Service Test Maneuver Fighter)
- XMF (Experiment Maneuver Fighter)
When ZAFT builds three new mobile suits based on the stolen MS units GAT-X103 Buster, GAT-X102 Duel, GAT-X303 Aegis and GAT-X207 Blitz, they re-designate the operating system for those suits as "Generation Unsubdued Nuclear Drive Assault Module" Complex (or "GUNDAM").
After the Bloody Valentine War, the OS is updated to support the "Deuterion Beam Energy Supply System" that the newer ZAFT suits use, and re-designated as "Generation Unrestricted Network Drive Assault Module" .
ZAFT experimental units generally have their numerical designation prefaced with "X" followed by a two or three digit type code and a letter designating power system: "B" for Battery, "A" for Atomic/Nuclear and "S" for new suits powered by the Deuterion Beam Network System.
The two-digit series designators include a type number (first digit) and a series number (second digit), so the ZGMF-X56S Impulse is Type 5, Series 6.
- 2: Air/space-use units
- 3: Underwater-use units
- 4: General all-purpose-use units
- 5: Silhouette system units
- 8: Ground-use units
These prototype units are developed by the Earth Alliance, see that section for more details. They appear here because they were reverse engineered and become the basis for all future ZAFT mobile suit developement.
- EA's GAT-X102 Duel - Piloted by Yzak Joule. Gets upgraded with body armor, called the "Assault Shroud", after being cut down in its third battle with Strike. Assault Shroud is destroyed by Forbidden, but the unharmed Duel destroys Forbidden.
- EA's GAT-X103 Buster - Piloted by Dearka Elsman. Later retaken by the Archangel crew.
- EA's GAT-X207 Blitz - Piloted by Nicol Amalfi. Destroyed by Strike.
- EA's GAT-X303 Aegis - Piloted by Athrun Zala. Self-destructed to destroy Strike.
- ZGMF-X09A Justice - Developed by ZAFT using data from the four stolen units, is Nuclear-powered and N-Jammer Canceller equipped. It is equipped with the detachable Fatum backpack for atmospheric flight that can be operated remotely for coordinated attacks. Justice can dock with the METEOR System, greatly enchancing ist speed, range and firepower. Athrun self-destructs Justice to destroy Genesis.
- ZGMF-X10A Freedom - Developed by ZAFT using data from the four stolen units. Brother unit to Justice, it is also nuclear-powered and has the same N-Jammer Canceller, and can also dock with the METEOR System. Freedom is severely damaged in Kira's battle with Rau Le Creuset.
- ZGMF-X11A Regenerate - Third model in the series, after Freedom and Justice, also equipped with the N-Jammer Canceller. Massive and heavily armed, it is not compatible with the METEOR System. It has the unique capability to eject damaged parts and receive replacements from the mothership.
- ZGMF-X13A Providence - Derived from the Freedom and Justice units, is more powerful than both. Piloted by Rau Le Creuset, gets damaged by Freedom and then destroyed by GENESIS.
- ZGMF-X56S Impulse - Composed by the Core Splendor, the Chest Flyer and the Leg Flyer, can dock mid-air into a mobile suit form. It relies on battery power that can be remotely replenished by its mothership. The Impulse is piloted by Shinn Asuka. Like the earlier Strike, the Impulse can be equipped with additional packs called "Silhouettes.":
- ZGMF-X56S/α Force Impulse - High mobility configuration, analogous to the Aile Strike, but capable of atmospheric flight.
- ZGMF-X56S/β Sword Impulse - Analogous to the Sword Strike, and similar to the GAT-X133 Sword Calamity; equipped with anti-warship swords and beam boomerangs.
- ZGMF-X56S/γ Blast Impulse - Analogous to the Launcher Strike, and similar to the ZGMF-X10A Freedom.
- ZGMF-X23S Saviour - Can transforms into a mobile armor for aerial combat with extra speed and mobility. Appears to be derived from the GAT-X303 Aegis and ZGMF-X09A Justice.
- ZGMF-X24S Chaos - Specialized for assault, it transforms into a mobile armor used for space combat. Stolen by EA.
- ZGMF-X88S Gaia - Capable of transforming into a 4-legged mobile armor used for terrestrial combat. Stolen by EA.
- ZGMF-X31S Abyss - Equipped with powerful beam weapons, can transform into a mobile armor used for underwater combat. Stolen by EA.
- ZGMF-X42S Destiny - A ZAFT Third Stage mobile suit, nuclear-powered, equipped with an enchanced NJ Canceller that is unaffected by the Neutron Stampeder. Piloted by Shinn Asuka.
- ZGMF-X2000 GOUF Ignited - Derived from the ZAKU series, the GOUF Ignited is armed with a tentacle-like heat rod, a double-edged anti-ship sword, and 4 forearm-mounted cannons. Piloted by Haine Westenfluss, gets destroyed in its first battle by ZGMF-X88S Gaia.
- YMF-01B Proto GINN - Original GINN prototype mobile suit, later used for training.
- YMF-X000A Dreadnought - Prototype used as a testbed for the N-Jammer Canceller and DRAGOON technologies.
- ZGMF-1017 GINN - Standard mass-production MS, in numerous variants. Refer to the Technical sheet for a detailed list.
- ZGMF-515 CGUE - An upgraded version of the GINN, used by unit commanders.
- AMF-101 DINN - Mass-production MS, derived from the ZGMF-515 CGUE, but lighter and capable of aerial combat.
- UMF-4A GOOhN - A mobile suit designed for aquatic use.
- UMF-5 ZnO - A mobile suit designed for aquatic use.
- UMF/SSO-3 Ash - Transformable amphibious mobile suit, appears to be a development of the older UMF-5 ZnO. Armaments are claw/beam blade x2, machine gun x2, missile pod x2, shoulder-mounted double barrel beam cannon x2, head-mounted phonon maser x2.
- ZGMF-600 GuAIZ - The successor to the GINN series. Features technology from the stolen EA units.
- ZGMF-601R GuAIZ R - Updated version of the GuAIZ, rolled out after the war.
- Babi - Transformable aerial combat mobile suit. Armed with a beam rifle, a shotgun, a chest-mounted beam cannon, and two wing-mounted 12-round missile pods. Probable successor to the aging AMF-101 DINN.
- ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Warrior - A mass-production MS, developed after the Bloody Valentine War as the main MS production line. It is equipped with a beam assault rifle and a beam axe. All ZAKU units can mount different expansion packs, called "Wizards", that allow for different combat configurations:
- ZGMF-1000/A1 Gunner ZAKU Warrior - Artillery Wizard, contains a high energy, long-range beam cannon, the M1500 Orthros, and a high-capacity energy tank.
- ZGMF-1000/K Slash ZAKU Warrior - Close-range combat Wizard, sports a large beam axe and shoulder-mounted beam gatling guns.
- ZGMF-1000/M Blaze ZAKU Warrior - High-mobility combat Wizard, its backpack carries a pair of high-count missile pods.
- ZGMF-1001 ZAKU Phantom - High-end version of the ZAKU Warrior, a commander class unit. It is equipped with the same beam assault rifle as the ZAKU Warrior, but carries two beam axes. The ZAKU Phantom mounts the same Wizard units as the ZAKU Warrior.
- TMF/A-802 BuCUE - Standard MS for desert warfare, with four legs to better withstand the sand terrain.
- TMF/A-803 LaGOWE - Andy Waltfeld's command-model BuCUE MS; later destroyed by Strike.
- TFA-2 ZuOOT - Designed as a ground assault artillery unit that could transform into a tank.
- TFA-4DE GAZuOOT - Upgraded TFA-2 ZuOOT, serves in fire support and interior PLANT defense role. Equipped with beam cannons and missile launchers.
Orb's mobile suits are designated "MBF" for Main Battle Figure.
- MBF-02 Strike Rouge - When the EA unit GAT-X105 Strike is destroyed, Orb rebuilds it for Archangel. With the spare parts they assemble the MBF-02 Strike Rouge, piloted by Cagalli Yula Athha. It is equipped with the IWSP that was kept onboard Kusanagi.
- MBF-P01 Astray Gold Frame/Re-Amatu - Designed to be able to use Earth Alliance's MS hand weapons without modifications. Later rebuilt into Gold Frame Amatu with the right arm of Blitz, providing it with PS armor and Mirage Colloid cloaking ability.
- MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame - Designed to be piloted by Naturals. Later modifications allow it to shoot beam orbs from its hands. It was also mounted with a sharp solid-state Katana called the Gerbera Straight, which allowed for melee combat without depleting the energy reserves.
- MBF-P03 Astray Blue Frame - Designed to have additional equipment packs for special missions. Later modified to Blue Frame Second, which can also mount a Tactical Backpack that transform it into a Gatling Gun platform, or a oversized sword. As well, it can be protected by a Full Armor Pack for work near the sun. The Full Armor pack also adds Phase Shift armor to the Blue Frame.
- MBF-M1 M1 Astray - Orb's first mass-production suit, based on the original Astray prototypes such as the MBF-P02 Astray Red Frame. Later equipped with a new EF-24R "Shrike" rotor pack on its original flight pack, to increase flight capablities.
- MBF-M1A M1A Astray - Space use model. Has additional thrusters and a sniper beam rifle.
- MVF-M11C Murasame - Mass-production mobile suit, capable of transforming into a fighter jet-like flight mode. Armed with a beam rifle and beam saber, plus a beam gun and four machine guns in flight mode.
- Astray Out Frame - A custom mobile suit built by Lowe Gear, using the frame of an incomplete ZAFT mobile suit suspected to have been designed as ZGMF-X12A. Piloted by photojournalist Jess Rabble .
- NMS-X07PO Gel Finieto - Actaeon Industry's prototype mobile suit. Equipped with a Mirage Colloid virus spreader, capable of seizing control of nearby mobile suits' computer systems.
- Super Freedom - Successor to the old and outdated ZGMF-X10A Freedom. Armed with 2 CIWS guns, 2 beam sabers, a pair of railguns, a chest cannon, 2 beam rifles and forearm mounted lightwave sheilds. Piloted by Kira Yamato.
- Knight/Night Justice
- Kimera - Heavily modified MAW-01 Mistral mobile pods used by the Junk Guild for salvage operations. Each has unique modifications to suit the pilot's personal preferences.
- MWF-JG71 Raysta - A non-combat mobile suit designed by Junk Guild technician Yoon Zefan and based on Orb's Astray series. Leased to civilians on the condition that they not be used for combat.
Retrofitted stolen/salvaged units
- ZAFT's YMF-X000A Dreadnought - Piloted by Junk Guild member and Newtype clone Prayer Reverie. Later refitted with CAT1-X Hyperion technology and piloted by Canard Pars.
- Eurasian Federations' CAT1-X1/3 Hyperion Unit 1 - Piloted by Eurasian Federation deserter Canard Pars, and refitted with an N-Jammer Canceller.
- ZAFT's ZGMF-1017 GINN - A wide variety of customized GINNs are employed by small, non-aligned factions. These range from minor cosmetic alterations to extensively rebuilt units.
- ZAFT's ZGMF-1000 ZAKU Phantom - One heavily modified unit piloted by freelance mercenary Kaite Madigan .
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details