Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
USS Amber (PYc-6)
Amber started life as the yacht Infanta but was renamed Polaris. She was built in 1930 at Seattle, Washington, by the Lake Union Dry Dock Co., purchased by the United States Navy from Edward and Kathryn Lowe on 23 December 1940, converted for naval service by the Winslow Marine Railway and Shipbuilding Co. Inc., Winslow, Washington; renamed Amber on 10 January 1941 and simultaneously designated PYc-6, and placed in commission at Seattle on 3 March 1941, Lt. W. B. Combs in command.
Amber was assigned to the Inshore Patrol of the 13th Naval District and, from May until early August, operated around Seattle, Tacoma, and Port Townsend, Washington. The patrol craft left Seattle on 6 August on a cruise to Alaska, and visited Ketchikan, Juneau, and Sitka, before returning to Seattle early in September.
Amber was decommissioned on 18 October 1944 and her name was struck from the Navy list on 13 November 1944. The ship was sold back to her former owners on 13 June 1945.
Later the boat was acquired by the Foss Towing Company, Seattle (later name changed to Foss Maritime ), and renamed M/Y Thea Foss.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details