Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Tie of friendship with the German city of Lippstadt.
The town of Uden
The first time Uden is mentioned around 1190 as "Uthen". However first settlements are dating back from ancient times and are founded around nowadays Moleneind, Vorstenburg and Bitswijk areas. Near the hamlet Slabroek a Gallo-Germanic urnfield was discovered. Since 1324 Uden was ruled by the house Valkenburg and became a part of the Land van Ravenstein . After 1397 Uden became part of the German county of Cleves. Uden did not suffer heavily from the Eighty Years' War, which came over the Netherlands. The village gained religious freedom in 1631. As a result the order of the Kruisheren came to the municipality in 1638, after they had fled from 's-Hertogenbosch during oppression by the protestant Dutch. In 1713 members of the covenant of the Bridgettines fled from the Brabant of the States area too and founded a new abbey near the town of Uden. When the peace of Munster in 1648 made an end to the religious wars in Europe, Uden didn't came part of the Dutch republic and became an heaven of religious tolerance. As a result the oppressed catholics of nearby villages Veghel, Nistelrode and Erp founded little churches at the municipality-boundaries. During the period 1648-1795 Uden became prosperious due to her weekly markets. In 1746 the village was almost destroyed by a heavy fire.
In 1795 it was done with the special rights. Uden was taken by the French troops and it became a part of the Dutch republic. Since 1810 part of the Kingdom of the Netherlands. Since the mid 19th century Uden became more and more poorer as a result of the concurrence of the surrounding former Brabant of the States villages who gained their freedom back again. Since that time large emigrations to Wisconsin and other parts of the United States. In 1845 the Order of the Ursulines founded a monastry in Uden. After 1860 the famous cherry-period started in Uden, when the village specialised in the grow of cherries. In 1886 the old Petrus-church was demolished by fire and replaced by a new large church.
During World War I (in whom the Netherlands stayed neutral) North Brabant was flooded by Belgian refugees. A refugeecamp was erected at Vluchtoord in Uden, where several thousands of Flemish refugees found home til 1918.
Uden was visited by Wilhelmina, queen of the Netherlands after it had been plagued by the cycloondisaster of 1925.
Since the 1950's Uden became a developmentcentre, as it heavily needed new grow. Some industries were placed and Uden became a regional centre.
Due to her enormous grow, very little is left of the old villagecharacter.
- church of Sint-Petrus stoel
- chapel of the Kruisheren
- monastery of the Ursulines
- monastery of the Kruisheren
- Brigitinesse abey of Maria Refugie
- World war II wargrave cemetery
- Mill of Jettens
In de 1920's people started to cultivate the massive heathlands in the eastern part of the municipality, called "De Peel". In 1922 a new village was built, called Terraveen and later renamed Odiliapeel.
In 1855 the village of Volkel founded her own parish.
In 1940 Uden was occupied by the German troops. The Germans started with the building of a new airport: Flugplatz Volkel. After the war it became an international army airport.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details