Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro
The Federal University of Rio de Janeiro (Portuguese: Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro, UFRJ) is the largest federal university of Brazil, where state-owned colleges are the best and most qualified institutions. It is seated in the city of Rio de Janeiro, with two campi (Fundão island and Praia Vermelha) and three more independent buildings in downtown Rio.
It was founded in 1932, originally as "University of Brazil" (Universidade do Brasil), by gathering a number of previously autonomous institutions of high education in the city. By then, Rio was capital of Brazil and it was part of the government strategy to have qualified professionals in the country's new economy. Some of the faculties and schools which form UFRJ date back to colonial times, such as the Escola de Belas Artes (School of Fine Arts) and the Faculdade de Medicina (Medical College).
- Centro de Tecnologia (Tech Center)
- Escola de Comunicação (School of Communications)
- Escola de Belas Artes (School of Fine Arts)
- Faculdade de Medicina (Medical College)
- Faculdade Nacional de Direito (National Law College)
- Observatório Nacional (National Observatory)
- Museu Nacional (National Museum)
- Casa da Ciência (House of Science)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details