Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
University of Mumbai
The University of Mumbai is one of the outstanding universities of India. It has been rated by the National Assessment and Accreditation Council with Five star ranking amongst Indian Universities. The name of the University was changed from University of Bombay to University of Mumbai according to Government Gazette dated 4th September, 1996. It is abbreviated as either (UoM) for University of Mumbai or as (MU) for Mumbai University.
Most of the colleges in the city of Mumbai (Bombay) are affiliated to the University of Mumbai. The University of Mumbai offers Bachelors, Masters and Doctoral degrees to students. It has several high ranking research institutes in the world, including Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology (formerly UDCT), Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) a Deemed University of the University of Mumbai and Tata Memorial Hospital .
Mumbai University Campuses
The University of Mumbai campus is not bound at one location, rather it is spread across the entire city of Mumbai (Bombay). these include:
- The fort Campus
- The Kalina Campus
- University departments located across Bombay
- Affiliated colleges such as Saint Xavier's College
The main campus is in Fort Mumbai, in the southern end of the city of Mumbai. It houses the administrative division of the university. It is built in Gothic style of architecture and also includes a library which holds many original manuscripts. The Fort Campus was established as the University of Bombay in 1857. It was one of the first educational institutions established by the British in India following Sir Charles Wood's Dispatch on Education in 1854.
Another large campus is situated in Kalina, Santacruz in western suburban Mumbai. It is 230 acres (930,000 m²) in area, with much of the land kept for development of future disciplines. It has much of the social sciences and behavioural sciences departments offering masters and doctoral program, which includes department of economics and department of psychology amongst others. The Kalina campus also includes certain science departments including department of Biotechnology and department of Mathematics, and has most of the humanities and language departments of Mumbai University at the masters and doctoral level. It also has the Jawaharlal Nahru Library, the largest library in Bombay.
Several Departments of the University of Mumbai are located at different places other than the fort campus or Kalina campus. These include the Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology, formerly (UDCT), Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (JBIMS) and Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR). The department of Medicine and medical research are spread out across several prominent hospitals in Bombay (Mumbai). Chief amongst these are the Tata Memorial Hospital, Bombay Hospital and G.S. medical college of the University of Mumbai. St. Xavier's College was the first degree-granting college affiliated to the University.
Prominent Departments and Institutes of University of Mumbai
- Bombay Hospital Institute of Medical Sciences (Medical research)
- Govt Law College (Law school)
- GS medical college (Medicine Research)
- Jamnalal Bajaj Institute of Management Studies (University of Mumbai, Management Institute)
- J.J.College of Architecture
- J.J. school of Arts (college of Fine arts)
- Jawaharlal Nehru Library (largest Library in Mumbai)
- Mumbai University Department of Economics (National centre for advanced studies)
- Mumbai University Department of Mathematics
- Mumbai University Institute of Chemical Technology (MUICT)
- Nalanda Nritya Kala Mahavidyalaya (Centre for Dance research)
- Narsee Monjee Institute of Management Studies (NMIMS - deemed univ of Bombay University)
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR - Deemed univ of University of Mumbai)
- Tata Memorial Hospital (Centre for Cancer Research)
- VJTI (autonomous Engineering Institute of Mumbai Univ)
- Institute of Science [ISc]
Mumbai University Libraries
The main Library or Central Library is Jawaharlal Nehru Library (JNL) with almost a million books (850,000) documents and Scientific Journals, Thesis, Encyclopedias, alongwith over 30,000 microfilms and over 1200 rare manuscripts, IMF reports, census records and access to several hundreds of E-Journals through online subscription. The (JNL) catalogue is computerised. The Libray largely contains books with basic sciences and the social and behavioural sciences.
The technology and applied research journals and books of the University of Mumbai are kept at various other libraries including those at MUICT, TIFR, JBIMS & Tata Memorial Hospital. Together the University of Mumbai collection of Books and Scientific journals gets to over a million documents.
Some departments and institutes of University of Mumbai
Other Features and Facilities
The University of Mumbai confers over 1,100 degrees and diplomas every year and over 80,000 students apply for the degrees. The University of Mumbai has one of the main computer Server of the city of Mumbai. It also provides a large International students Hostel for foreign students.
See also: List of Bombay Colleges - (Most of the colleges, Institutes and Research centres in Mumbai (Bombay), are affiliated to the University of Mumbai)
Prominent Alumni of UoM
- Mahatma Gandhi - Father of the Indian nation
- Man Mohan Sharma - Fellow Royal Society, Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan
- Lal Krishna Advani - leading Indian politician
- B. R. Ambedkar - Author of the Constitution of India, social reformist and thinker
- Nissim Ezekiel - Acclaimed Indian English poet
- Anil Kakodkar - Director of BARC and Chairman of the Atomic Energy Commission and Secretary to the Government of India, Department of Atomic Energy
- Aishwarya Rai - Miss World in 1994 and leading Indian actress
- P. V. Narasimha Rao - former Indian prime minister
- R.A. Mashelkar, Director General, CSIR (Council of scientific and Industrial Research, India)
- Mukesh Ambani, Managing Director, Reliance Industries (Attended Saint Xavier's College)
- Anant Pai - major publisher of Indian books for children especially the series Amar Chitra Katha
- Lara Dutta - Miss Universe in 2000
- Anand Patwardhan - Indian documentary film-maker
- Sunil Gavaskar - Legendary Indian Cricketer (Attended Saint Xavier's College)
- Smita Patil - Legendary Indian Actress (Attended Saint Xavier's College)
- Shabana Azmi - Acclaimed Indian Actress (Attended Saint Xavier's College)
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details