Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
University of Florence
The University of Florence evolved from the Studium Generale, which was established by the Florentine Republic in 1321. The Studium was recognized by Pope Clement VI in 1349, and authorised to grant regular degrees. It became an imperial university in 1364, but was moved to Pisa in 1473 when Lorenzo the Magnificent gained control of Florence. Carlo VIII moved it back 1397-1515, but it was moved to Pisa again when the Medici family returned to power.
In 1859 it became the Istituto di Studi Pratici e di Perfezionamento, a year later it was recognized as a full fledged university by the government of the unified Italy.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details