Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Victoria Park, East London
Victoria Park is a large open space that stretches out across part of the East End of London, England bordering parts of Bethnal Green, Hackney, and Bow, such as along Old Ford Road, London E3. The park is enirely within the London Borough of Tower Hamlets.
It was laid out by notable London planner and architect Sir James Pennethorne between 1842 and 1846. This large park is reminiscent of Regent's Park (not least because the latter was designed by Pennethorne's teacher John Nash), though much less busy, and is considered by some as the finest park in the East End. It is bounded on two sides by canals: the Regent's Canal lies to the west, while its branch, once known as the Hertford Union Canal runs along the Southern edge of the park. There is a gate named after Edmund Bonner. Guarding the main entrance at Sewardstone Road are the Dogs of Alcibiades which have stood here since 1912.
Victoria Park is very popular with children and has a One O'Clock Club for under-fives and their parents, a herd of deer, goats and a programme of summer activities. There is a fine childrens play park that also includes a paddling pool. The Victoria Model Steam Boat Club was founded in the Park on 15th July 1904. The club is still active today and holds approximately seventeen Regattas a year (on Sundays). The club runs straight running boats just like they did 100 years ago but have also progressed to radio control and hydroplanes. The first Regatta is traditionally held on Easter Sunday and the Steam Regatta is always held on the first Sunday in July.
The park is open daily from 06:00am to dusk.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details