Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
VOR: The Maelstrom
VOR: The Maelstrom is a science-fiction tactical-table game (TTG), set in the 22nd century. In this world, the Earth has been sucked into a pocket universe known as the Maelstrom (hence the name, 'VOR: The Maelstrom').
The Maelstrom itself is a cannibal pocket universe, possibly sentient, that sucks planets into it randomly, as if either to feed or out of malice. Most planets are destroyed or changed beyond recognition, as well as their inhabitants (although humanity got off relatively scot-free compared to some of the other inhabitants). Death awaits eventually all worlds, but the Maelstrom's inhabitants cannibalize new worlds to save themselves, in a desperate struggle for survival.
There are several races in the game story. They are:
- Union: This group of humans is the United States, Canada and Mexico, and are 'champions of freedom and democracy' - or at least, that is what they say they are. A Union force is typically high-technology, such as Ares battlesuits and other technologies, and also mainly Special Forces.
- Neo-Soviets: This group of humans is descended from modern-day Russia under a Communist military dictatorship. The Neo-Soviets use a large amount of chemical warfare and also mutants (their lands are barren radiated ground due to Union nuclear weapon strikes).
- Zykhee: This alien race appears low-tech at first glance, yet they are actually quite advanced in culture. They are humanoid, and they have extremely flexible joints, leading to their great close combat abilities.
- Growlers: The Growlers are primate-like monsters directed by the pack's collective packmind, strong and adaptable, and the main enemies of the Zykhee. They are of many breeds and types.
- Shard: The Shard are a race of silicon-based lifeforms with an extreme hatred for 'carbons' - i.e. carbon-based lifeforms like ourselves, and they will stop at nothing to wipe them out.
- Pharon: The Pharon are essentially a race of high-technology mummies, inspired at least in part by Ancient Egypt, and a very ancient race that worships the Maelstrom and thrives in it, being resurrected by its energies.
- Mashers: The Mashers are very primitive creatures, yet they can 'mash' (meld) with technology. Scavengers, they look like Neandertals.
- Golem: These solid creatures wear power armour. They are actually two creatures - a mindless host and an intelligent parasite, who enslave and conquer worlds.
- Ceru: The Ceru are a race of blue, gnomish bikers who were enslaved by the Golem, but broke free when the Golem's homeworld (where the Ceru happened to be at the time) got sucked into the Maelstrom.
One of the features of VOR: The Maelstrom that is unique is that the game allows the player to make his/her own custom force - i.e. use his/her own figures to play as a force he/she wants to play as.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details