Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
West Orange, New Jersey
West Orange is located at 40°47'19" North, 74°15'19" West (40.788650, -74.255416).
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 31.7 km² (12.2 mi²). 31.4 km² (12.1 mi²) of it is land and 0.3 km² (0.1 mi²) of it is water. The total area is 0.90% water.
As of the census2 of 2000, there are 44,943 people, 16,480 households, and 11,684 families residing in the township. The population density is 1,431.7/km² (3,708.7/mi²). There are 16,901 housing units at an average density of 538.4/km² (1,394.7/mi²). The racial makeup of the township is 67.55% White, 17.46% African American, 0.14% Native American, 8.09% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 3.52% from other races, and 3.20% from two or more races. 10.04% of the population are Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There are 16,480 households out of which 32.2% have children under the age of 18 living with them, 56.0% are married couples living together, 11.2% have a female householder with no husband present, and 29.1% are non-families. 24.6% of all households are made up of individuals and 11.6% have someone living alone who is 65 years of age or older. The average household size is 2.66 and the average family size is 3.19. In the township the population is spread out with 23.3% under the age of 18, 6.2% from 18 to 24, 29.7% from 25 to 44, 23.4% from 45 to 64, and 17.4% who are 65 years of age or older. The median age is 39 years. For every 100 females there are 88.6 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there are 84.0 males.
The median income for a household in the township is $69,254, and the median income for a family is $83,375. Males have a median income of $52,029 versus $39,484 for females. The per capita income for the CDP is $34,412. 5.6% of the population and 4.6% of families are below the poverty line. Out of the total population, 6.0% of those under the age of 18 and 7.8% of those 65 and older are living below the poverty line.
The Township of West Orange is governed under the Faulkner Act (Mayor-Council) system of municipal government. Under the current form of government each member of the Township Council serves in an At-Large and Non-Partisan capacity representing the entire township instead of a specified Ward and District as is practice in some of the other New Jersey communities.
Key personnel in the West Orange Township are:
- John F. McKeon, Mayor - Office Phone (973) 325-4100
- Susan McCartney, Township Council President - Office Phone (973) 736-2017
- Richard A. Giuditta, Jr., Township Councilman - Office Phone (973) 731-9415
- Robert Parisi, Township Councilman - Office Phone (973) 324-1644
- Renard Barnes, Township Councilman - Office Phone To be determined (See note ╣)
- John Skarbnik, Township Councilman - Office Phone (973) 243-2354
- Nancy O'Hara, Township Clerk - Office Phone (973) 325-4155
- John Sayers, Business Administrator / Police Director - Office Phone (973) 325-4055
- James P. Abbott, Chief of the West Orange Police Department - Office Phone (973) 325-4000
- Peter Smeralbo, Acting Director of the West Orange Fire Department▓ - Office Phone (973) 325-4185
- Edward Coleman, Comptroller - Office Phone (973) 325-4070
- Richard Trenk, Township Attorney - Office Phone (973) 243-8600
- William F. Cuozzi, Jr., Presiding Judge West Orange Municipal Court - Office Phone (973) 325-4082
- Harry L. Starrett, Municipal Judge, West Orange Municipal Court - Office Phone (973) 325-4082
- Amy Simon, Public Information Officer - Office Phone (973) 325-4133
╣ Renard Barnes was appointed by the Township councilman to replace Councilman Kevin Keogh.
▓ The West Orange Fire Department does not currently have a Chief of the Department.
The West Orange Municipal Building and Township Council Offices are located at 66 Main Street
The West Orange Police Department & Municipal Court is located at 60 Main Street
The West Orange Fire Department is located at 415 Valley Road.
County and State Legislators Representing West Orange
- Essex County Freeholder Muriel Shore, 465 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. (Newark) - Office Phone: (973) 621-4481
- New Jersey State Senator Richard J. Codey, 449 Mount Pleasant Avenue - Office Phone: (973) 731-6770
- New Jersey Assemblyman John F. McKeon, 4 Sloan Street (South Orange) - Office Phone: (973) 275-1113
- New Jersey Assemblyman Mims Hackett, 15 Village Plaza (South Orange) - Office Phone: (973) 762-1886
Thomas Edison bought a property known as Glenmont in 1886 as a wedding gift for his bride. It occupies 13.5 acres (55,000 m²) in the Llewellyn Park district. The remains of Thomas and Mina Edison are now buried there. Glenmont maintained by the National Park Service as the Edison National Historical Site .
- The Township of West Orange Government
- West Orange Board of Education / Public Schools
- West Orange Free and Public Library
- West Orange Chamber of Commerce
- Essex County Parks and Recreation - Eagle Rock Reservation
- Essex County Parks and Recreation - South Mountain Reservation
- Essex County Parks and Recreation - Turtle Back Zoo
- U.S. National Parks Service - Thomas Alva Edison National Historical Site
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details