Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Westinghouse Electric Corporation
For present day nuclear company, see Westinghouse Electric Company.
The Westinghouse Electric Corporation was an organization founded by George Westinghouse in 1886 as Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company. The company purchased CBS in 1995 and was renamed CBS Corporation in 1997. CBS Corp sold its nuclear business to BNFL which renamed it Westinghouse Electric Company.
George Westinghouse had previously founded the Westinghouse Air Brake Company . Westinghouse Electric received the first patent for alternating-current transmission, and unveiled the technology for lighting in Great Barrington, Massachusetts. The company pioneered long-distance power transmission and high-voltage transmission. In addition to George Westinghouse, engineers working for the company include William Stanley, Nikola Tesla and Oliver Schallenberger . It was historically the rival to General Electric.
Timeline of company evolution
- 1889 - renamed the Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company
- 1899 - British Westinghouse Electric and Manufacturing Company founded.
- 1914 - acquired Copeman Electric Stove Company and entered the home appliance market, (sold in 1974 to White Consolidated Industries )
- 1916 - Share of British Westinghouse purchased by a British holding company, became Metropolitan-Vickers
- 1920s - entered the broadcasting industry, with stations like KDKA in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- 1930s - entered the nuclear age with an industrial atom smasher .
- 1940s - entered aviation with airborne radar (defense electronics sold 1996) and ground based airport lighting.
- 1945 - renamed the Westinghouse Electric Corporation.
- 1950s - entered consumer finance with Westinghouse Credit Corporation
- 1960s - acquires ThermoKing , begins automated mass transit (sold 1988)
- 1980s - acquires cable television operator TelePrompter (sold 1985) and robot maker Unimation
- 1995 - buys CBS
- 1996 - buys Infinity Broadcasting
- 1997 - sells non-broadcast operations, renamed CBS
- 1999 - BNFL a UK nuclear company acquires CBS nuclear power business and takes the name Westinghouse Electric Company
- Westinghouse Electric Company
- Westinghouse Lighting Corporation
- White-Westinghouse Appliances
- Yahoo! - Westinghouse Electric Company LLC Company Profile
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details