Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Westwood Village Memorial Park Cemetery
It is the resting place of some of the entertainment industry's greatest names, although it was not always sought-after. Indeed, when it was announced Marilyn Monroe was to be buried there in 1962, observers were astonished, as the cemetery was obscure with no other "big names" besides Fanny Brice.
That changed over the years, however, and now Westwood Village has become on par with Forest Lawn as the ultimate Hollywood hereafter "hot spot".
(Note this is a partial list.)
Use the following alphabetical links to find someone.
- Milton Ager, musician, composer
- Eve Arden, actress, played Our Miss Brooks
- Hy Averback , director
- Lew Ayres, actor
- Jim Backus, actor, Mr. Howell on TV's Gilligan's Island
- Richard Basehart, actor, Admiral Nelson on TV's Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea
- Bobbi Brat , lead singer of Gothic rock band Red Scare
- Fanny Brice, comedienne
- Les Brown, bandleader
- Sebastian Cabot, actor, played Mr. French on TV's Family Affair
- Sammy Cahn, songwriter
- Truman Capote, actor, author, wrote "In Cold Blood"
- John Cassavetes, actor, screenwriter, director, producer
- Ray Conniff, musician
- Richard Conte, actor
- Bob Crane, actor, played Hogan on TV's Hogan's Heroes, murder victim
- Rodney Dangerfield, comedian, actor
- Philip Dorn , actor
- Eric Douglas, actor; son of Kirk Douglas
- Dominique Dunne, actress Poltergeist; daughter of writer Dominick Dunne, brother of actor-director Griffin Dunne
- Ariel Durant historian, Pulitzer Prize in literature
- Will Durant historian, Pulitzer Prize in literature
- Eva Gabor, actress, was on TV's Green Acres
- Armand Hammer, oil tycoon and art collector
- Jonathan Harris, actor, portrayed the villainous Dr. Zachary Smith in the 1960's TV Series, "Lost In Space".
- Hugh Hefner, "In waiting" - He purchased the crypt beside the one of Marilyn Monroe, his first "Playboy" centerfold.
- James Wong Howe , cinematographer
- Louis Henry Jourdan , son of French actor Louis Jourdan, died from a drug overdose
- Janis Joplin, singer. She was cremated here and her ashes were later scattered in the Pacific Ocean
- Louis Kaufman , violinist
- Brian Keith, actor. Buried with his daughter, Daisy. Both committed suicide.
- Stan Kenton, bandleader
- Burt Lancaster, actor
- Peter Lawford, actor, was cremated and ashes originally buried at Westwood. His ashes were later removed and scattered in the Pacific.
- Peggy Lee, singer
- Jack Lemmon, actor
- Oscar Levant, actor, pianist
- Lloyd Nolan , actor
- Carroll O'Connor, actor, played Archie Bunker on TV's All In The Family
- Heather O'Rourke, actress, the little girl in the movie Poltergeist
- Roy Orbison, legendary singer, Rock and Roll pioneer. Grave unmarked
- Gregor Piatigorsky, cellist
- Donna Reed, actress, played Mary in the movie It's A Wonderful Life
- Buddy Rich, drummer
- Minnie Riperton, singer
- Franklin Schaffner, film director
- George C. Scott, actor, won the Oscar for the title role in Patton Grave unmarked
- Robert Stack, actor, The Untouchables, Unsolved Mysteries
- Dorothy Stratten, actress, Playboy Playmate, (murdered)
- Jennifer Syme, actress, (buried with her daughter by Keanu Reeves)
- Mel Tormé, singer
- Ray Walston, actor
- Harry Warren, songwriter
- Cornel Wilde, actor
- Billy Wilder, movie director
- Carl Wilson, singer - The Beach Boys
- Natalie Wood, actress
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details