Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Winfield Reformed Church
The Winfield Reformed Church (恩惠歸正教會) of Woodside, New York is a congregation of the Reformed Church in America. It was first establish by Dutch immigrants in 1880. The church was first built near the Queens Boulevard area by members of the Reformed Church of Newtown (新城歸正教會), led by the Reverend Charles Shepard. The Church later moved to its present location and building in 1907.
During the late 1960s, due to the decreasing size of the original Dutch congregation, the church was no longer able to support a full-time minister. A Taiwanese pastor, the Reverend Andrew D. Kuo (郭得烈, Taiwanese: Koeh Tek-lia̍t), who worked at the American Bible Society, volunteered to serve as a status supply pastor at Winfield.
Kuo saw the increasing number in Taiwanese students settling in the New York area; he reached out and encouraged them to become members of the congregation. This trend continued and eventually in the early 1980s, the last member of the original Dutch congregation passed away and the language used during Sunday service became predominantly Taiwanese.
- Winfield Reformed Church official website
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details