Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
World Heritage Site
A UNESCO World Heritage Site is a specific site (such as a forest, mountain range, lake, desert, building, complex, or city) that has been nominated for the international World Heritage program administered by UNESCO.
The program aims to catalogue, name, and preserve sites of outstanding importance, either cultural or natural, to the common heritage of humankind (exact criteria). Listed sites can obtain funds from the World Heritage Fund under certain conditions. The program was founded with the Convention Concerning the Protection of World Cultural and Natural Heritage that was adopted by the General Conference of UNESCO on 16 November 1972.
As of 2004, a total of 788 sites have been included in the list (611 cultural, 154 natural and 23 mixed properties in 134 States Parties).
List of World Heritage Sites
- List of World Heritage Sites in Africa
- List of World Heritage Sites in Asia and Australasia
- List of World Heritage Sites in Europe
- List of World Heritage Sites in the Americas
- List of World Heritage Sites in danger
- UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Official site
- List of UNESCO World Heritage Sites - Official site
- VRheritage.org - documentation of World Heritage Sites
- Worldheritage-Forum - Weblog and Forum for World Heritage Subjects
- Croatia World Heritage - World Heritage in Croatia - UNESCO's sites
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details