Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
The earliest evidence of settlement in the region dates from the 8th century BC: the inhabitants were apparently linked with the Lusatian and East Pomeranian cultures. There was a settlement near the Żarnowiec lake from the seventh to the tenth century AD. A village known alternately as Sarnkow, Sarnowitz, Sarnowicz or Czarnowicz is first mentioned in sources dating from the thirteenth century, when it was inhabited by the Kashubians.
In 1215 Żarnowiec belonged to Cystertian order based in Oliwa Abbey, which founded a monastery for women there. In 1297 the monastery received special economical and juridical privileges from Mestwin II, Duke of Pomerania.
In 14th century Żarnowiec, together with all of Gdańsk Pomerania was incorporated by the territories controlled by the Teuton Order based in Danzig. In 1433, it was raided by Hussite army. In 1462, during the Thirteen Years' War, the Polish army under Piotr Dunin defeated the Teutonic Knights there (see Battle of Świecin, also known as the Battle of Żarnowiec). After the war Żarnowiec became a part of Royal Prussia (Prusy Krolewskie).
In 1590 it was taken over by a female order of Benedictines from Chełmno, who founded an abbey there in 1617. In 1772, after the first partition of Poland, it was taken over by Prussia, and in 1834 the abbey was liquidated. It was refounded in 1946 by a female order of Benedictines from Wilno.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details