Science Fair Project Encyclopedia
Zhao (pinyin: zhào, Wade-Giles: Chao, simplified Chinese: 赵, traditional Chinese: 趙) is a common Chinese family name. The origin of the family name came from the people of State of Zhao in ancient China.
Zhao can also be a less common family name 兆 (Siu in Cantonese.)
Prominent people with family name 趙
- The Zhao royals of the Song Dynasty.
- Rosalind Chao, an American actor.
- Elaine L. Chao, United States Secretary of Labor.
- Y. R. Chao, a Chinese linguist.
- Zhao Mengfu, a famous calligrapher.
- Zhao Yun, a general during the era of Three Kingdoms.
- Zhao Ziyang, Chinese politician, placed under house arrest after symphathizing with the Tiananmen Square protests of 1989.
Zhao (兆) is a Chinese number for 106 or 1012.
The contents of this article is licensed from www.wikipedia.org under the GNU Free Documentation License. Click here to see the transparent copy and copyright details