Drawing skills and gender
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 20 male students age 14
- 20 female students age 14
- 40 pieces of drawing paper
- 40 pencils
- A basket of fruits
- A classroom
- An art teacher
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is the gender of the participants. The dependent variable is the drawing skills of the participants. This is determined by having an art teacher grade the 40 drawings made by the participants. The constants (control variables) are the age of the oarticipants, the type of objects or fruits to be drawn, the lighting in the room and the type of drawing paper and pencil provided.
2. 40 participants are randomly assigned numbers 1 to 40. A list of the names, gender and assigned numbers of the participants is made.
3. The fruit in the basket are properly arranged and placed at the front of the classroom. The 40 participants are brought into the classroom and asked to sit at their tables. Each participant is provided with a piece of drawing paper and a pencil. Make sure that each participant has a clear view of the fruit basket.
4. The participants are informed that they must not write their names on the piece of drawing paper. They must only write the number assigned to them and their assigned numbers are to be written at the back of the drawing paper. The participants are then given one hour to draw the fruit. After 1 hour, the drawings are collected from the participants. When the drawings are collected, each participant’s assigned numbers on the back of the drawings are verified and confirmed. The 40 drawings are then given to the art teacher for grading.
5. Once the art teacher has graded the drawings, they are collected and grouped according to whether the drawings were done by a male or female participant. The average scores of the 2 groups are calculated and the results recorded in the table below.