Plant density and rate of growth
The materials required for this science fair project:
- 1 packet of garlic chives seeds
- 5 pots
- enough soil to fill the 5 pots
- Ruler (1 meter)
1. For this experiment, the independent variable is the number of plants planted in the pots. The dependent variable is the height of plants. This is determined by measuring the height of the plants in each pot and calculating the average height. The constants (control variables) are the size of the pot, the amount of soil and the type of plant used.
2. The 5 pots are filled with the same amount of soil. The garlic chives seeds are planted in each pot as described below.
3. The pots are labeled as pot A, pot B, pot C, pot D and pot E.
a. Pot A is planted with 2 garlic chives seeds
b. Pot B is planted with 5 garlic chives seeds
c. Pot C is planted with 10 garlic chives seeds
d. Pot D is planted with 20 garlic chives seeds
e. Pot E is planted with 50 garlic chives seeds
4. The pots are watered twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening.
5. The height of the plants is measured everyday for 10 days and the average height of the plants in each pot is calculated daily and recorded in the table given below.